1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Feb 9 discussion group

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Forest, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi everyone,

This is just an announcement that for our February 9 discussion group, the group decided to start reading Pathways to Pain Relief. We will also continue reading Great Pain Deception and When The Body Says No, but we have a great opportunity to discuss this important new book and also to interact with it's writers, so I'm glad that we've decide to switch course.

More information about the book can be found in the following thread:
    http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/pathways-to-pain-relief-an-important-new-tms-book.1478/

Information about our regular Saturday events can be found in this thread:
    http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/february-2nd-online-tms-events.1444/
    The only thing that has changed since the above thread is the books we are reading (we've added Pathways) and the timing (now newcomers start connecting at 1:45 and discussion starts at 2:00 in order to give us a bit more time).

Information on how to connect can be found in this thread:
    http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/book-group-teleconference-this-saturday-at-2-est.1375/

Hope to see you there!

deborah a burns likes this.
  2. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

You guys are really ploughing through these books. Where do you find the time? I am plodding rather than ploughing through GPD and read the first chapter of When the Body Says No online. I would like to start this book next. But I am also excited about Dr Alexander's book. And now there is this other one!

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm with you, YB!

4. Forest

LOL. Don't forget, though, that we haven't finished any of the books. We are just reading several of them simultaneously. We like this system because we go quite slowly through each of the books (maybe only 7-15 pages a week), so if someone is pretty far behind, they can catch up fairly quickly by just focusing on one book. We're super laid back and just enjoy a good discussion, so if you have only even picked up one book (or haven't picked up any of them at all!) you are always very welcome to join. On the other hand, usually about half of the people have done all or almost all of the reading, so there's always someone who you can talk to if you've got questions.

Currently we're officially at:
    Chapter 9 of Great Pain Deception (Ozanich)
    Chapter 4 or 5 of When the Body Says No (Mate)
    Chapter 0 of Pathways to Pain Relief (Anderson and Sherman - we haven't really started yet since it just came out)

Some people may have read ahead of this, but we're trying to keep it laid back and slow so that we can involve the most people.

5. Forest

6. Forest

[medio]68[/medio]

This was the first organizational meeting of a new online book discussion group focusing on books about Tension Myositis Syndrome (TMS). We meet every week from 2:00-3:00 PM EST on Saturday via a free conference call and online chat room.

Next week we will start reading Pathways to Pain Relief, by Frances Sommer Anderson, PhD, SEP, and Eric Sherman, Psy.D. You can learn more about the book via our thread:
    http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/pathways-to-pain-relief-an-important-new-tms-book.1478/

On February 16, 2013, we will start discussing the first portion of the book, including the Foreward by Dr. John E. Sarno, MD, and the first four sections by Frances Sommer Anderson, PhD, SEP. In the following weeks we will finish the book, keeping a nice slow pace so that everyone can keep up.

As this is the first book by two of Dr. Sarno's closest psychologists and as it is the first book to carefully explore, from a psychologist's perspective, how the TMS personality develops over the life span, we believe that this is an important book that every person suffering from chronic pain should read and can learn from. As such, we are recording portions of our sessions so that future generations of people recovering from their pain can virtually join in the discussion as they read the book.

We hope that you enjoy this audio presentation (there isn't much to the video, unfortunately... the main chat room was in another window and if you want to see the webcams you will have to join us live). If you have any questions, feel free to post them below and Forest, the moderator, will respond.

7. Forest

By the way, if you like this video and want to show your appreciation, please help us out by visiting it on YouTube and giving it a thumbs up:
    http://bit.ly/12e4Jwq

Thanks!

8. Max

Max Peer Supporter

Hi all, I have not been around in a while.But am still battling with my pain. I kinda have an idea, that I would like to run by you. The forum is a fantastic way fir everyone to share their experiences, whether good or bad. But In essence, everyone is kinda working alone, although maybe sharing with others via the forum. Personally I find it difficult to maintain momentum, and often drop in and out of attempts to move forward. What may help though is close support. How about we set up a closed group who would volunteer to help and support each other.A kind if support group within the wider community, but closer and perhaps more personal. Overseen by yourselves, and contained within the wiki. One of my main goals would be to help and support each other to become more physically active, and overcome the fear of pain and movement. A small close group who encourage and support each other towards a more active and pain free life. It's only an idea, just wondered what you may think? Maybe keep the group small, no more than 10 members?

9. Forest

Hi Max,

Have you tried our weekly drop in chats? We have them every Saturday and about 10 people show up on average. They are a terrific way to get support and last Saturday at least one person mentioned that his symptoms are always lower on Sundays, the day after the chat. It could be exactly what you are looking for.