1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Murmur
Last Activity:
Feb 28, 2016
Writer

Share This Page

Murmur

New Member, Male, from Los Angeles

Murmur was last seen:
Feb 28, 2016
  • My Story

I'm undergoing my second big battle with TMS. The first was in 2010 after I was diagnosed with a herniated disc and underwent a failed microdiscectomy. I re-herniated at the same level, this time much worse than before. The good news was that after 6 months my body had completely absorbed the herniated disc material (as shown on a follow up MRI). The bad news, I was still in pain with sciatica running down my right leg. My Ortho and my physical therapist both suggested that my pain might be emotional in nature -- see there actually are some good doctors out there! I turned to Sarno and three days after reading HBP had a complete remission -- for 48 hours. What followed was another several months of trial and error, journaling and jumping back into physical activity. I got my pain down by 90% and got on with my life.

About a year ago my pain went away completely, something I never figured would happen. Except this was followed by anxiety. Because I've had depression and anxiety since my 20's I didn't quite realize these were also manifestations of TMS. I went back on anti-depressants and the anxiety went away. For a year.

Now I'm in the midst of a very important career moment. Things are going great with my writing and I have a lot of responsibility on my shoulders. I've had to relocate to Atlanta for 2 months for a project I'm working on and lo-and behold my sciatica is back, worse than ever. It's been an eye-opening experience as I've come to terms with the fact that while my TMS was greatly reduced, it was like a pilot light, burning away, and now stress (and repressed rage) has turned up the gas.

The good news is I'm three weeks into my second round with TMS and am already starting to feel better. It's challenging because I'm away from home. Away from friends, family, my husband and my dog! That's why I've joined the forum here -- because at 3AM when my leg is on fire -- and I know I've got to get up for a full day tomorrow -- this site is my lifeline.
    1. BruceMC
      BruceMC
      Yes, as you've discovered the hard way, Murmur, there just isn't a direct cause-and-effect relationship between spinal abnormalities and the appearance of TMS pain symptoms. It's been my experience (and I'm certainly not a clinician) that prior to the onset of TMS symptoms there is always some life stress event (or several of them piled on top of each other).
      1. Murmur likes this.
  • My Story

Writer
    Diagnoses:
    Herniated disc L5, S1
    I'm undergoing my second big battle with TMS. The first was in 2010 after I was diagnosed with a herniated disc and underwent a failed microdiscectomy. I re-herniated at the same level, this time much worse than before. The good news was that after 6 months my body had completely absorbed the herniated disc material (as shown on a follow up MRI). The bad news, I was still in pain with sciatica running down my right leg. My Ortho and my physical therapist both suggested that my pain might be emotional in nature -- see there actually are some good doctors out there! I turned to Sarno and three days after reading HBP had a complete remission -- for 48 hours. What followed was another several months of trial and error, journaling and jumping back into physical activity. I got my pain down by 90% and got on with my life.

About a year ago my pain went away completely, something I never figured would happen. Except this was followed by anxiety. Because I've had depression and anxiety since my 20's I didn't quite realize these were also manifestations of TMS. I went back on anti-depressants and the anxiety went away. For a year.

Now I'm in the midst of a very important career moment. Things are going great with my writing and I have a lot of responsibility on my shoulders. I've had to relocate to Atlanta for 2 months for a project I'm working on and lo-and behold my sciatica is back, worse than ever. It's been an eye-opening experience as I've come to terms with the fact that while my TMS was greatly reduced, it was like a pilot light, burning away, and now stress (and repressed rage) has turned up the gas.

The good news is I'm three weeks into my second round with TMS and am already starting to feel better. It's challenging because I'm away from home. Away from friends, family, my husband and my dog! That's why I've joined the forum here -- because at 3AM when my leg is on fire -- and I know I've got to get up for a full day tomorrow -- this site is my lifeline.