1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Bodhigirl
Last Activity:
Feb 9, 2024
psychotherapist

Share This Page

Bodhigirl

Well known member, Female

My TMS has learned something new? Night sweats that seem unrelated to hormones but rather to sheltering and political upheaval. Jan 19, 2021

Bodhigirl was last seen:
Feb 9, 2024
  • My Story

My journey into TMS began when I was very small. I would become anxious about going to school and cook up symptoms like stomach pain. It was real to me and it got the desired effect from my mom.
    I have had a series of diagnoses that brought me to John Sarno's work. My orthopedist suggested his work nearly 20 years ago when I went to him for knee pain. Another surgeon wanted to do surgery. My doctor said, "You've probably had this tear for years, probably have one in the other knee. Read John Sarno and see what's going on with you emotionally."
    I bought the book but didn't read it.
    Years later, my back 'went out' while vacationing in the south of France. Severe, debilitating pain. I couldn't walk. A friend reminded me of Sarno's work and I was willing to read it. I rested, I read, and the pain remitted.
    I have since done years of clinical hypnosis combined with somatic experiencing, Rolfing, Schubiner's workbook, 12 step programs... I have worked with many people who have suffered TMS but weren't ready to feel the feelings beneath the symptoms.
    I have long had a fascination with the ego/brain connection and it was in the journey through my own body that I was lead to a healing place. It's a one day at a time healing... not a permanent cure but I have come to accept it.
    I have a mostly loving and slightly comedic relationship to my symptoms today. Now and then they can flare up and scare me but for the most part, it's an intercommuncation system between my conscious mind, body, and my unconscious, which in my experience is vast and limitless.
    There's always more to learn.
    1. Bodhigirl
      Bodhigirl
      My TMS has learned something new? Night sweats that seem unrelated to hormones but rather to sheltering and political upheaval.
    2. Bodhigirl
      Bodhigirl
      Enlightenment is always possible. The path to it is often an "oh, crap" experience. Still, it's so worth it.
      1. birdsetfree and plum like this.
    3. Bodhigirl
      Bodhigirl
      Enlightenment is possible. Staying awake in the moment to moment practice now.
      1. Ellen and Lily Rose like this.
    4. Bodhigirl
      Bodhigirl
      Defrosting a freeze after some intense work. Debriefing with curiosity and kindness, not pain.
    5. Bodhigirl
      Bodhigirl
      Taking my vacation, not focusing on the pain. Whew!
    6. Bodhigirl
      Bodhigirl
      Suffering after a real sports injury, self pity/grief galore
    7. Bodhigirl
      Bodhigirl
      Backsliding and losing hope
    8. Bodhigirl
      Bodhigirl
      Migraine for New Years but hopeful
    9. Bodhigirl
      Bodhigirl
      Grateful to be in No Pain today.
    10. Bodhigirl
      Bodhigirl
      Quitting a relapse right NOW with your presence!
    11. Bodhigirl
      Bodhigirl
      Releasing tension, one breath at a time
      1. Forest likes this.
      2. Forest
        Forest
        Great practice. With a mindbody condition, when you soothe the mind, the body will follow.
        Feb 12, 2015
  • My Story

psychotherapist
    Diagnoses:
    IC, migraines, hip, neck and back pain, gastrointestinal illness
    My journey into TMS began when I was very small. I would become anxious about going to school and cook up symptoms like stomach pain. It was real to me and it got the desired effect from my mom.
    I have had a series of diagnoses that brought me to John Sarno's work. My orthopedist suggested his work nearly 20 years ago when I went to him for knee pain. Another surgeon wanted to do surgery. My doctor said, "You've probably had this tear for years, probably have one in the other knee. Read John Sarno and see what's going on with you emotionally."
    I bought the book but didn't read it.
    Years later, my back 'went out' while vacationing in the south of France. Severe, debilitating pain. I couldn't walk. A friend reminded me of Sarno's work and I was willing to read it. I rested, I read, and the pain remitted.
    I have since done years of clinical hypnosis combined with somatic experiencing, Rolfing, Schubiner's workbook, 12 step programs... I have worked with many people who have suffered TMS but weren't ready to feel the feelings beneath the symptoms.
    I have long had a fascination with the ego/brain connection and it was in the journey through my own body that I was lead to a healing place. It's a one day at a time healing... not a permanent cure but I have come to accept it.
    I have a mostly loving and slightly comedic relationship to my symptoms today. Now and then they can flare up and scare me but for the most part, it's an intercommuncation system between my conscious mind, body, and my unconscious, which in my experience is vast and limitless.
    There's always more to learn.