miayogini

In March of 2011, as I was getting ready for work, my back began to spasm and I could not stand up straight. I was in excruciating pain. This was the first time this ever happened, although I had back pain on and off for years prior. I work as a massage therapist and thought this was just due to the physical nature of my job. Knowing so many massage therapists I began to see them first for treatments, and later chiropractors and acupuncturists.

I also visited my PCP who told me there was nothing wrong with me and to go back to work. At this point, I was limping, I could not put pressure on my left leg due to the severe pain in my hip. I left her office upset at her response. How the hell did she think I could work? In retrospect, I realize she was right! Perhaps she knew about TMS but didn't take the time to explain it to me.

I began to do some research online about back pain and found Dr. Sarno's book Healing Back Pain and ordered it. I was already a big believer in the mind body connection and after reading it, I felt like the profile fit me well. I began to see a psychotherapist but unfortunately the therapy did not work, probably because it was not geared toward TMS. I continued to be in pain, walking with a limp due to my "sciatica". I was not in full acceptance of my TMS self diagnosis for I saw more doctors, had an MRI and did physical therapy for a month. During this time I also developed symptoms in my left arm and neck which a chiropractor told me was due to a pinched nerve after having done an X-ray.

After two months of being out of work, I finally returned to my demanding job as a massage therapist at a busy spa. I was afraid I could not do it, and was still in a lot of pain around my SI joint but I had no choice needing to support myself. I managed to work for the next year and a half still in pain but it was tolerable.

Then in December of 2012 I came down with the flu that became progressively worse. It morphed into bronchitis then asthma. I again became too sick to work, was put on various steroid medications, and eventually had to quit my job and take 6 months off to recover. I feel the respiratory infection could have been a version of the symptom imperative. I am now back to work doing massage but in a medical clinic where it is not as strenuous on my body. I continue to have symptoms which are mainly numbness in both feet at this point. I joined this forum a year ago but never did the program. I'm now ready to finally commit to my full healing and recovery. The hell with my resistance!!
Location
Ormond Beach, FL
Diagnoses
herniated disc L5-S1
Gender
Female
Occupation
Massage Therapist

Trophies

  1. 1

    First Message

    Post a message somewhere on the site to receive this.
  2. 5

    First Year

    Congratulations, you've made it a year!
  3. 3

    First Month

    Congratulations on having been a member for a month!
Back
Top