1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 4 Words from my PT

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Pain-free, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Pain-free

Pain-free New Member

Today's question to ponder was, "what is the most disheartening thing a doctor has said to you?" Well, it's not so much disheartening but definitely causing me some trouble as I try to resume more normal activities. My PT told me that if something causes any pain at all in my butt or leg, not to do it. He said back pain was fine, but recreating the sciatic pain is like "opening a wound that's trying to heal," thereby preventing recovery. So I'm having some trouble with that right now. I've given myself til Wednesday to go for a hike (one of the activities I enjoy but have foregone for a while because of pain, or actually fear). I know that I'm going to be fine, but these words from my PT come up in my head more than I like these days.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Pain-free. It's understandable that you are conflicted about going on a hike, what with the PT telling you not to do anything to cause butt or leg pain, while Dr. Sarno and Steve Ozanich says exercise such as walking help heal pain and do not make it worse.

See how you feel about walking in or around the house between now and Wednesday. Even if you feel some pain, maybe just consider a short hike.

Pain-free likes this.