1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Which Audiobook is best for non-back pain TMS

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by LittleWildflower, Feb 1, 2023.

Tags:
  1. LittleWildflower

LittleWildflower Newcomer

Hello,

I keep reading that the audio version of John Sarno’s Heal Back Pain is extremely effective but as I don’t have back pain (or at least it’s rarely a symptom) I do find myself not connecting with a lot of the discussion on that and I’m worried I won’t integrate the information unless it feels relevant to me? Is it still worth listening to it or is there another version I can try that includes a larger variety of TMS symptoms please and I might find more appropriate to my personal situation?

I’ve skim read Mindbody a while ago and midway through The Great Pain Deception atm.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Oops, I'm out of sync with these different threads, @LittleWildflower! I have specific recommendations in this response.

edit: just copying most of my response on that thread to this one:

The tmswiki.org site and this forum were founded in honor of John Sarno MD, who developed the theory that he labeled TMS (Tension Myositis Syndrome). I think I heard that near the end of his career he said that TMS might as well stand for The Mindbody Syndrome, because his initial theory was about oxygen deprivation to muscles as a result of emotional stress, but he definitely later acknowledged that the TMS brain mechanism can result in any number of chronic and distressing physical and mental symptoms. Our main site, tmswiki.org is a source of basic information about Dr. Sarno and his theories, but I like to recommend that people who are new to this work read his last book, The Divided Mind (2009) because he goes over his theories in four efficient chapters, and then turns the book over to six other mindbody practitioners (five MDs and one therapist).

By the way, there is a well-known and hugely influential mindbody practitioner (not an MD) in the UK named Georgie Oldfield, who collaborated extensively with Dr. Sarno before his retirement - her website talks about Dr. Sarno here: John E Sarno MD - Georgie Oldfield

The other author who I think might speak strongly to you is Kristin Neff PhD, the "queen" of self-compassion. Her website is here, with all of her various resources: Self-Compassion - Kristen Neff. To me, it sounds like you have an urgent need to extend compassion towards yourself. People often try to insist here that one must have 100% belief in the TMS theory in order to do this work, but I actually believe that it's far more important to be able to love yourself enough to know that you deserve to recover. Learning self-compassion is the path to achieve this.

There are a LOT of totally free resources available for doing the emotional work that is needed in order to recover from TMS (also called PPD: Psycho-Physiological Disorders), and we even have two free programs: the "starter" program for most people is the Structured Educational Program (SEP) on the main tmswiki.org site.

Feel free to check out my profile, which lists a number of my favorite resources (it's kind of long by now!) including some of my favorite threads on the forum - at least those are easy to link to.