1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 5 What I would do if I had free time...

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Cara, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Cara

Cara Peer Supporter

I would love to go for a long run or a long bike ride. Or both. I'd do a triathlon training day. I don't do these things for physical reasons. I suspect this is not what this question is getting at, but the truth is that the thing that keeps me from doing what I really love is my back. Dr. Sarno said patients should get back to doing all physical activities, but not until they see some pain reduction. I was in worse-than-usual pain this morning.

I'd probably also do yardwork, but I don't for the same reason: pain.

I also love reading. I can do that.

2. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

Read more Sarno then...! Have you read The Divided Mind? Instead of doing along walk/ride, why not compromise? You think your pain would be worse from walking/riding, so set a short route. Any activity that lets us exercise in the fresh air has got to be good for us. I avoided walking/riding for years because of my pain and diagnosis - yet when i started walking/cycling again - yes more pain for a while, but overall - more health, less illness. I cycled across Europe in the end.... go for it....

Gigi likes this.
  3. Cara

Cara Peer Supporter

I have read Healing Back Pain. I just checked out The Divided Mind but haven't read it yet. I have gone on a couple of medium-length bike rides without a noticeable increase in pain. I agree about the exercise in the fresh air. My soul needs it.

hecate105 likes this.
  4. hecate105

I also love reading - and for years I was an armchair traveller. But i LOVE travel - and so wanted to visit the places i read about - now, after much tms work - i am fit again and able to travel freely. I am going off to cycle around South Wales next week - dreading the hills - but loving the freedom...

5. Cara

Cara Peer Supporter

I LOVE Wales. (Only been there once though!) Have a wonderful trip!! I just got back from the American West: Yellowstone, Tetons, and upper Utah. Ahh. I felt like I made progress there. Now that I'm back, though, I'm back in lots of pain. :(

6. hecate105

Yeah, it's that return to 'normal' life! I have just spent 3 weeks cycling up massive hills, living outdoors and i felt fantastic! Now i'm back (to various family problems, work looming and all that 'stuff') I got pain in the night and had to 'tms' it away!
    I am just going to take each day as it comes, put my health and psychological health first, then put everything else in a long line and deal with it in bite-size pieces... So chunks of work, chunks of concern/help for family/friends and chunks of 'me or us' time - like walking with my husband or going to the movies. If stuff doesn't get done - well - so what? The graveyard is full of indiispensible people....
    My primary job is to be a balanced, happy person. End of...!

Cara and Ellen like this.