1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Unlimited triggers?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by livlive, Apr 5, 2017.

1. livlive

livlive Peer Supporter

Hi all,

I'm sure this has been asked in different forms many times over. What's helped you when you were starting out in the process and you felt like there were countless emotional triggers or stressors for you?

I know (from years of therapy etc) there will always be stresses in my life, and my body reacts by tightening which sets off the pain. Journaling has been helpful for me but am obviously not able to journal all day long with work and what not. :)

And I think even more significant for me right now are all the physical triggers that I'm trying to navigate. I have pain sitting, particularly in cars, pain after increasing certain exercises, etc etc. --there are so many activities my brain associates with pain because they were really painful after I had back surgery. Sometimes I feel like re-programming could take a lifetime.

Thanks!

2. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

There are an infinite number of triggers. But just know that it's never the stressor, it's always the response. If you don't need a diversion there's nothing to trigger. So work on why you need the diversions. People don't move along because of internal resistance (they resist healing because they need their symptom). As Jung said "what you resist persists." Discover why you can't let go and heal deeply.

When you say "it could take a lifetime" you set in motion for it to take a lifetime. Our thoughts echo back to us as forms, reality.

Good luck
    SteveO

3. livlive

livlive Peer Supporter

Thanks, Steve for your response. I will keep trying to remind myself of this.

I think one of the things I was getting tripped up on was "do you have to learn to have a perfect response to stress" to conquer chronic pain? When I think of it like that I think, yikes, I don't know that that's going to happen for me. That's sort of what had been running through my mind. Can you disentangle stress so that it's not connected to pain.

It's been interesting to me, too, that I know some people who are very anxious, stressed, etc, but don't suffer any chronic pain. Maybe for some, like myself, there is a precipitating event like an accident, or in my case a surgery, and the mind/body almost sees an opportunity to talk to you. I don't know.

But thanks again for your response and I will keep working on these ideas.

-Liv

4. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

Double LivLive, it's never the stressor, always the response.

Stress is the difference between what you wanted vs. what you just got. So everything we "want" causes us great stress because we can't have it. I was just reminded that I wrote this last night when I watched Conversations with God on Amazon Video. "You can't have anything you want."

Why try to disentangle stress from pain when you can rid it?

As far as your friends feeling anxious and stressed but not suffering pain, that only further proves TMS correct. If they did not feel these emotions they would feel pain. It's the emotions you cannot feel that cause your symptoms, not the ones you are aware of.

SO