1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Tingling when pressure applied to disc

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Mort, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Mort

Mort Newcomer

Hi wonderful people on this fantastic forum,

I am waiting for my MRI (NHS, will take a few months) and have been given the classic L5/ S1 herniatiin diagnosis for sciatica that has left me bed bound at points. I read "healing back pain", and think it likely that it is what I have, but until the MRI it is pure guess work. However, my osteopath's manipulation around the disc in question causes tingling down the leg, would this be indicative that it here is perhaps an underlying structural cause? Should I not commit to psychology over physiology until physical causes have been ruled out?

Thanks

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Mort. I doubt it would hurt if you continued thinking TMS repressed emotions are the cause your pain, while you wait for the MRI results. Keep in mind that Dr. Sarno wrote that often MRI results that show some structural damage such as herniated discs can be caused by our emotions. The Structured Educational Program in the subforum of this web site can help you discover them.

3. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Mort,

Welcome to the forums! I don't think any kind of manipulation that causes tingling means anything at all. When I was studying to be a physical therapist, I tried different manipulation and mobilizations on my husband and I recall the lumbar ones causing him to get leg tingling...he never got any back pain, this was just what happened. It's like hitting your funny bone. In all likelihood the MRI will show something because it does for everyone (for the record i also have a pretty significantly herniated disc at L5-S1 and the level above and got rid of all my pain with TMS).

It is extremely unlikely there is a physical cause but definitely wait for anything serious to be ruled out. Herniated discs are benign and don't cause pain for more than a few weeks after they first occur in 99% of cases. Good luck, hope you are able to get the results soon and begin your TMS healing!

Lunarlass66 likes this.
  4. Mort

Mort Newcomer

Thank you both for your replies. This forum is a great source of comfort in very difficult times