1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

The power of empathy

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by North Star, Dec 11, 2013.

1. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

I love this short little clip with some thoughts from Brene Brown, one of my favorite thinkers. It also makes me understand why this forum is so amazing. The empathy here provides a safe and loving place to heal from TMS.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

That clip is really great. It really tells the difference between sympathy and empathy.
    Thanks for sharing it.

Now if the roast beef I'm baking now in the oven is tough, I will expect empathy, not sympathy,
    from my dog. Of course Annie will love it tough or tender.

3. North Star

Conjuring empathy might be even tougher than your roast, should it be dry. Because you see, the roast I slow-cooked all day yesterday was *wipes drool from mouth*....fabulous. hee hee

But here's my heartiest wishes for a delectable dinner. For both Annie and YOU.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

The roast came out delicious. Annie and I loved it.
    Did I tell you how to gt my new book, Christmas With the Famous,
    with 150 best-remembered Christmases from famous peop.e?

It's at

CHRISTMAS WITH THE FAMOUS $10.15

www.CreateSpace.com/4518724

It's a heart-warmer.

5. North Star

So glad the roast was yummy. Hearing about Annie makes me want a dog. There so much more interactive than a cat though I do pretend my cat comes when I call her. (And today she blessed me with her purring presence during my meditation time.)

That delightful looking book will be next on my list, Walt! I just received your other Christmas one the other day. (I have this terrible problem of getting backed up on books!)

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

If your kitty purrs that means she loves you.

I hope you'll find time to read A Midnight Clear before Santa comes down your chimney.

7. Msunn

Msunn Well known member

Thanks for posting that North Star. I'm in the process of re-reading The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown, a really great book. I also agree that there is a lot of empathy on this forum!

North Star likes this.
  8. North Star

Walt, I'm halfway through your delightful book right now. Makes me want a dog something fierce. :)

Msunn, that's one of my favorite books. She really knocked it out of the park with that one!

9. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

North Star, I'm so glad you're enjoying my dog book.
    It takes a turn of plot about halfway and I hope you like it.
    I'd love your thoughts on it when you've finished reading.

Max was a wonderful, adorable Black Lab mix I had from a
    puppy at a shelter to 16 and a half years. Ten years of it were
    along that golf course.

When we were moving way people said hey would miss
    hearing Max talk "Woo woo!" They never said they'd miss me,
    but I knew they would.

10. North Star

And now I will hear dogs saying "woo woo!" and wonder what they're saying to each other. What a heart warming book, Walt. You're a great story teller and I love how you wove the discrimination topic in in a great non-judgemental way.

The "Thelma's Garden" description tugged at my heart. I love the name Thelma...it was my hubby's grandma's name so it made me think of her and of the wonderful people that take the time to cultivate beautiful flower gardens. (I am one who DOES stop to smell the roses when I'm on a walk.)

Thank you for sharing a peak into some of your special memories. I'm afraid places like the Meadow are becoming fewer and fewer. Your description underscores the importance of community and how we...and our four-footed companions...are wired for connection.

11. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

North Star, I'm so glad you enjoyed my dog book. It was my love letter to Max.
    I'm also glad that you feel that the discrimination part was not too heavy.
    I needed a strong reason for the dogs to leave their masters.

Max and my other dogs and Annie have taught me so much.

North Star likes this.