1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 33 The benefits of TMS

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Cara, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Cara

Cara Peer Supporter

I haven't yet been able to free myself from pain, but if I'm to practice outcome independence, I can still see some benefits in spite of the lingering pain.

I do think my pain has changed some. It has gone back to where it was some months ago: an aching stiffness. The last couple of months it has taken the form of some aching and stiffness punctuated with horrible stabbing pain and spasms. So there's that.

More, though, I think the TMS diagnosis is making me face up to the reality of how I live and have been living. I've "known" that I should take my job less seriously and find a way to "satisfice" more. I've known for a while that I am ridiculous in my perfectionism. I've known that I'm on the path to burn-out. I've not wanted to live as I live. I've missed the sense of joie de vivre that I used to have, but I've sort of thrown up my metaphysical hands and said, "Oh well. This is my life now" and ignored the problem. TMS makes me have to face those facts FOR REAL. I don't yet know how I'm going to deal with the logistics of healing, but I have come to the hard conclusion that it needs to be done.

Here's another good thing: I tried running again. It didn't feel good, exactly, but it didn't feel as bad as I thought it would. I went slowly and only for a minute at a time. My back is now NOT happy. But my soul is. I love the feeling of running and I love the feeling of having run. I love feeling strong and fit rather than weak and vulnerable. The whole world is more beautiful when I am a runner. I was waiting to try running until, as Dr. Sarno suggests in his book, I had the TMS under control. I don't yet, but the doctor I saw said that I might just have to get back to running anyway and conquer my pain that way. Even with as uncomfortable as it was, the prospect of doing a few one-minute runs on Tuesday makes me smile.

Finally, I have "met" a few people via this forum that are serving as a voice of reason for me. The other day I was beating myself up mentally, recognized it, and then pretended that a wise grand eagle was listening in. Even though I was making you up (as I haven't REALLY met you,) the words you have shared here have helped me see myself in a new light. Keep up the good work, TMS survivors! You are putting good energy into the world.

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

This sounds really good, Cara. I've had some nice success (at the gym, since I'm not a runner) by doing a visualization whenever something is hurting, and especially if I'm tempted to stop whatever I'm doing. Instead, I imagine blood pumping through my muscle, and the muscle fibers getting stronger, and my whole body part (arm, or hip) getting strong and feeling better thanks to all of the activity. I have finally figured out how super athletes do what they do - I think that they must practice visualization and self-talk, pushing through and being successful. Because it really works!

Keep up the good work!

~Jan (BGE, LOL)

westb likes this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Cara. I agree totally with Jan about visualization. It works great when you can live in the present moment and not stress about the past or future. The great Australian Olympic swimmer, Murray Rose, said he knew he was not the fastest man in the pool but won his Olympic medals by living in the present moment while swimming... visualizing each arm and leg stroke he took and letting that take him to finish line before the others. He didn't think about winning... he thought about every moment of the race.

There are some excellent videos on Youtube about living in the present.

You mentioned smiling. That and laughing are very therapeutic and helps to heal the body and mind by releasing calming endorphins. Try to smile and/or laugh, even if you have to make up reasons for either. Your subconscious won't know the difference. It may be hard to laugh for no reason, but a smile is almost as healthful.