1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Terrible tricep pain with certain movements of head and arm

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by sepultura, Aug 11, 2022.

1. sepultura

sepultura New Member

Ive posted in the past here about a recurring TMJ issue. Well that has calmed down mostly. Im currently struggling with what appears to be a 'pinched nerve'. I know TMS would say this is a false diagnoses. I went to a physio this week (i know i know) and he also agreed it was a nerve issue. He told me to call my GP and try and referred for an MRI. I dont think I am going to do this as I dont see how it can help.

I am really struggling though, my arm gets so sore working at the computer. Its so tempting to go down the traditional medical work here, maybe get a second opinion from another physio. Arm is in agony!

Any TMSers here dealt with a pinched nerve in the neck causing arm pain?

Thanks

Celayne likes this.
  2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

Have you ever tried working though your TMS issues - doing a program or seeking help with a coach or therapist?
    TMS is not a physical issue, it's a physical reaction to internal issues, so continuing to focus on it as purely a physical symptom may be prolonging your struggles.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  3. Celayne

Celayne Well known member

This will go against probably every other answer you get here, but I recently had a visit with a physical therapist because I was having shoulder/arm issues that were escalating. I’ve been working with my TMS issues for 5+ years and had success, but I could not solve this latest problem. It was getting in the way of me enjoying my life.
    The therapist worked on my shoulder, identified a couple of muscles that he thought were the cause of my problem. It was a really great, very targeted massage that stopped the pain and the tingling and numbness. Placebo? Perhaps. I don’t care if it is. I couldn’t deal with the pain and discomfort any other way and now it is gone.

4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Huh, I thought I posted a response agreeing with Celayne, but when this one posted, the first one wasn't there. Maybe I will rewrite, but in the meantime, this thread was started by @sepultura, and I'd like to let you know that there's a good reason why neither of our excellent and experienced members responded to your specific question:
    The reason they didn't answer this is because if your pain is actually caused by the TMS fear mechanism, the details are irrelevant, and finding someone with the same symptoms is not just irrelevant, but it's a distraction, designed to keep you in fear. It's actually pretty much guaranteed that your fear brain will create custom-made symptoms just so that you will not be able to find someone with your exact symptoms. Even if someone responds with something similar, your brain will convince you that it's not exact, so it doesn't count. Seen this here SO many times.

Your search for an answer to this question is a distraction. And THIS is your brain on TMS.

You need to understand that pain is not actually created by damaged tissues. Physiologically and neurologically, when there is actual damaged tissue, or perhaps where a bad thing is taking place (like viruses in the GI tract) what happens is that nerve endings at that location send a danger message to the brain, where a pain (or other) signal is created and sent back to the location. This is a fact.

Therefore, all pain or other distress (like nausea) is created by the brain, NOT by body parts. It has also been accepted, by studying phantom limb pain, that the brain will create pain, or other sensations, without the existence of the body part. Mindbody professionals have been able to show that our brains will create pain/sensations for no physiological reason - it's just harder to study when the body part still exists, and still harder to explain why our brains would do this - but as Dr. Sarno (and many others, he wasn't the first, he was just really good at explaining it) have been able to show, our brains are more than capable of doing this in order to cover up emotional pain and distress. In fact, as neurologists have explained, our primitive brains were designed to do this so we would stay alert for danger instead of getting bogged down in emotions.

In any case, MRIs seem to be the cover-your-ass response to pain that a doc can't diagnose. It's getting to the point where if a doc says that they don't know what's going on, but you might as well get an MRI, then you might as well diagnosis yourself with TMS. But please be warned, neither I, nor anyone on here, is a medical professional, so we can't diagnose you. That being said, most of us didn't bother to get a TMS "diagnosis" from a TMS professional - we accepted that the inability of our medical professionals to provide a concrete diagnosis and treatment meant that TMS was the only other logical diagnosis.

(I've had one MRI - it was for a really painful and growing nodule next to my Achilles tendon, and after the regular ortho ruled out a fluid cyst, the special ortho said he was pretty sure it was a benign tumor of the nerve sheath - but before cutting open my ankle, he needed an MRI to be sure, and to evaluate the extent of the growth near the tendon. He authorized an out-of-network referral to an ortho surgeon who specialized in these things. I have some dead nerve endings near the incision/excision which will probably always feel weird, but my Achilles was undamaged. Now THAT was a good use of an MRI!)

Anyway, all that being said - if no one is alarmed about whatever your condition is, then why not take the plunge and assume it's TMS? I can't tell if you've ever done any TMS work at all, but I read your post back in 2021, and it's pretty obvious that no matter what else might be going on, that you suffer from TMS (most mindbody professional are now only referring to it as MBS or PPD - psycho-physiologic disorder, but we still call it TMS in honor of Dr. Sarno).

The thing is, you're not going to experience progress just by asking for reassurance on this forum - you've got to do the work. It's worth it!

The thing is, it can't hurt, because it's not invasive, and it won't impede any truly necessary medical (or dental) process. Heck, doing this work has helped me to get through dental work without taking Xanax ahead of time, and even without asking for extra numbing shots! (I feel sorry for my dentist "Before Sarno" LOL).

It not only can't hurt, but it doesn't have to cost anything. The two programs we have here cost nothing and don't require any kind of signup (even non-members of the forum can work them). You should read at least one book by Dr. Sarno, which is not a huge investment, but they are easily available used, and also from many public libraries - I read the Divided Mind as a library e-book back in 2011 (that's the one I recommend because he includes chapters by other mind-body professionals including five MDs).

Do the work, and good luck.

~Jan

sepultura and Celayne like this.
  5. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm one of those people who also believe in temporary intervention as a tool to take the edge off, and to focus the mind on the belief in self-healing. I'm not above taking an ibuprofen now and again when I'm having a really bad day, but I combine it with extra writing and mindfulness, because my symptom always reflects going off-track. I also have a trusted PT who I see every couple of months, who will work on my poor aging body while I let the "laying on of hands" and being seen by a health professional for a full 50 minutes provide reassurance that there's nothing seriously wrong with me.

As long these things are used as a tool to keep me focused on the main work of being responsible for keeping my brain in a state of calm and self-care, I don't see why it can't be part of what I do for myself, especially at my age. Times are tough, and life is ultimately a bit of a bitch even in good times! Do whatever it takes, but always be mindful about it, and don't absolve yourself of the ultimate responsibility for your wellness.

Celayne likes this.
  6. Celayne

Celayne Well known member

Of course, of course, different things popped up after the shoulder improved. Just part of my seemingly never-ending TMS symptom parade.

7. sepultura

sepultura New Member

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond such a thorough response. A few things you said have hit home. Apologies it has taken me so long to reply.I had notifications switched off so only seeing these now. Thanks again.