1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Dr. Hanscom's Blog Taking Charge

Discussion in 'Mindbody Blogs (was Practitioner's Corner)' started by Back In Control Blog, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Back In Control Blog

Back In Control Blog Well known member

[​IMG]

I want to share an email I received this week from a colleague regarding the effect of the DOC (Direct your Own Care) concepts in his practice. He is a retired orthopedic surgeon who is currently practicing addiction medicine. He and I have been in touch and I am helping him get Back in Control to his patients. It has always been my intention that my book and this website be used as an adjunct to medical and non-medical providers who treat any aspect of chronic pain. It is a largely self-directed program.

[​IMG]

His Letter

Greetings David,

“First, let me say how grateful I am to be able to gift a copy of Back in Control to each and every one of my addiction, chronic pain, and or PTSD patients on their first visit. For a long time, I strongly recommended they purchase the book, but that almost never happened.

Due to the drug-induced disruption of communication between frontal cortex and emotional brain, I’ve come to realize that many are functionally teenagers, which has modified my presentation of your book. I now present this as a gift, appealing to either the emotional teenager or to the rational adult, depending on the severity of drug effect (which improves with Suboxone). I’ve now started them out at Chapter 9 with writing exercises, which I often have them do while I’m writing on their chart.

They are usually quite amazed at how easy and calming free writing is. I have them visualizing the disruptive thoughts flowing from their brain, down their arm and hand, onto the paper to be destroyed, along with discussion of the unlearning process. They then become interested enough to go to the beginning of the book and learn the theory. This presentation varies from one individual to another.

Now that I’m further along the learning curve, I am seeing some really amazing results, much of which I attribute to your book. I almost never have to use antidepressants, am having good results weaning off benzos (Valium-type meds), the bipolar mood disturbance screen often reverts to normal.

ACE issues (Adverse Childhood Experiences) are common, especially when chronic pain is involved, including some patients who do not meet the criteria for addiction. This is broached by asking if there are nightmares. The pain drawings and word descriptors are a big tipoff. The response to Prazosin (PTSD and sleep medication), usually just 1 mg at night is amazing. For most of my patients, it is the only sleep med needed.”

Many thanks for your generosity and please be assured that the book has been extremely beneficial to a lot of folks who need all the help they can get.

Gene

Finding Your Own Solution

Back in Control provides a framework that breaks down chronic pain into its component parts. The patient is able to figure out his or her own solution. There are so many factors that affect pain and with each individual’s life being unique, the only possibility of solving pain would have to come from the patient. Fighting a forest fire – your pain

I see patients every clinic day who have become free of pain. Each story and pathway out of pain is different. The only common tool is the expressive free writing, which is combined with the active meditation. My approach for the first month consists of four suggestions:

• Begin the expressive writing
    • Combine it with the active meditation
    • Focus on getting a good night’s sleep
    • Learn about the complex nature of chronic pain

My intention is to slow down everything, especially the frenzy of searching for a solution. I understand the desperate need to escape the pain. But until you can calm down a bit, you will continue to have elevated stress chemicals in your body, which directly sensitizes the nervous system and increases the pain.

[​IMG]

Expressive Writing

I don’t know why the expressive writing is so powerful. The effects are rapid and consistent. I like Gene’s approach and I am going to try it. Nothing of substance occurs until the writing begins. I have my patients start with the writing and ripping before they read anything. There are over 200 research papers documenting its effectiveness. The question is not if it works but why and how.

I recently saw a patient who has become pain free after suffering for 40 years. She began her journey with the expressive writing about a year ago and was diligent in addressing all of her issues, especially anger. Her entire appearance and demeanor was transformed. She was animated and excited about possibilities. It was an incredibly rewarding and energizing experience to share her excitement. I feel privileged to be able to share these concepts that also freed me from my pain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]