1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Stenosing tenosynovitis (trigger finger)

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by music321, Mar 18, 2019.

1. music321

music321 Well known member

My TMS journey is long lasting, however, I am getting closer toward resolution. I have come to realize that one of the major factors standing in the way of my recovery is profound fear regarding hand pain.

The tendons that allow flexion of the fingers run through the palm of the hand, and pass through “pulley guides” called “tendon sheaths” that keep the tendons in proper alignment. These sheaths are in close physical proximity to the tendons.

When tendons experience micro tears, the spaces in between the fibers of a localized area of the tendon fill with a jelly-like substance, which produces a nodule. When the tendon moves, the nodule moves with it. The tendon nodule is too large for for the “tendon sheath”, and produces pain, inflammation, and, in some cases, the inability to move the finger known as “triggering” or “trigger finger”.

The psychological component of this issue has actually been touched upon before (links at end). It has been demonstrated that inflammation can be a manifestation of TMS. Therefore, people without tendon nodules have experienced a locking of their fingers and pain, due to, presumably, inflamed tendon sheathes.

My question is whether the pain associated with this condition could be purely psychological for those, like myself, that actually have tendon nodules. Sometimes I experience pain when contracting my fingers repeatedly, but more often the pain is a result of engaging in a manual activity involving pressure, I.e., when I’m grasping something and something is pushing against the part of my hand that contains the nodule.

Can anyone comment on this?

Thanks.

Links:
    https://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Q%26A:_Is_it_possible_that_%22trigger_finger%22_is_a_manifestation_of_TMS%3F (Q&A: Is it possible that "trigger finger" is a manifestation of TMS?)

2. Nightfallibra

Nightfallibra Newcomer

Hi!

I have been having trigger fingers for over a year now, they happened after a very stressful traumatic event. Have yours gotten any better?