1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Some advice please

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Roxy, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Roxy

Roxy New Member

Hi just trying to seek some advice my back went on Friday morning whilst emptying dishwasher I’m ok sitting down but it’s when I get up after sitting it’s excruciating and sends me shaking with fear would you carry on doing things even though it really hurts to do so or would you rest up not sure what to do I’ve read Dr Sarnos book twice and he says in it to resume physical activity is that when your not in pain or even if in pain ?

Many thanks

2. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

That depends. Did you recover from TMS before? How strong is your belief ? How long have you been doing this?

I always challenge it immediately BUT I have been doing it for a minute and don't believe in injury anymore. It's more of a mental thing than anything... But Sarno warned us that if we do something too early and our confidence isn't there it could just scare us..

Since it's just there to distract you it's also good to do a review and think about why NOW was good time for a distraction

3. Roxy

Roxy New Member

Hi thanks for the reply, I have been suffering with back pain on and off for about 7 years the first 3 years was spent at physio, chiropractors, acupuncture etc. I went through a traumatic experience 11 years ago and suffered with anxiety and dizziness for years then my back went one night leaning over my sons cot and my dizziness seemed to disappear and the main symptom was back pain which went into my neck and upper back too I’m naturally an anxious person too. Then came across Dr Sarno through searching internet read his book and some of Steve Ozanich and I seem to lose the fear and i was probably 90 percent better but had other symptoms too ringing ears, toothache, hand pain. The only reason I can think of for me to be distracted now is I can get stressed over the school holidays and I think because it hurts so bad there is just a bit of doubt and what ifs at the moment.

4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Roxy, it doesn't sound like you've actually done much TMS work. Reading Dr. Sarno is always the first step, but for most people, it's not enough. I advise that you start doing the Structured Educational Program immediately. Do it at your own speed so that the understanding sinks in, and take the writing exercises seriously, because that's where the greatest value is. And be sure that you do the writing exercises with 100% self-honesty! Don't let your brain leave things out - because it will try to get you to do that.

TMS recovery requires doing the emotional work, sooner or later. I can't begin to count the number of members who said they experienced the "book cure" but had to go back to really do the work later on - with success. You can read their stories in our Success Stories subforum.