1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 13 So many important books, articles, reviews...

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by UkAdR, Apr 19, 2014.

1. UkAdR

UkAdR Peer Supporter

Hi folks - I hope everyone's keeping well, and positive. Below, please find my response to a day 13 question. As always, I really, really appreciate and input and responses. Cheers, Adam wavea

What TMS-related book, article, or news story have you found the most helpful in solidifying your belief in the diagnosis?

I have read lots of different literature about TMS now in my journey discovering what its all about. In this time my pain has stayed relatively the same, but has improved immensely from the bad point it got to a few months ago.

There hasn’t been one that I would say was the most important, but anything with a positive message has had a resounding effect. I tend to gravitate to success stories, so I guess that the ones that had the first impact were the reviews that I read on Dr. Sarno’s books on Amazon. I found it overwhelming that there were over 700 accounts of reading ‘Healing back pain’, but on further inspection I found that the reviews weren’t really reviews per-se, but accounts of wondrous healing and improvements. It was so empowering to read all these different peoples accounts of situations that sounded to similar to my own lower back pain and have them heal. People who didn’t sound quite as bad, and plenty who sounded considerably worse, all finishing with the same similar account – “today I am more or less 100% pain free”. I’m not a religious man, but those worse had become my holy grail. After reading other success stories I read the book and found many passages amazing. There was one paragraph later in the book that really struck me however. It simply stated that pain can’t come from a bulging disc. It went on to discuss, as I’m sure you’re all far more aware than I am, that most people will have degenerated discs (especially mine, L5-S1) and not even know about it. I couldn’t believe this and was taken aback. I can picture it clearly – watching Black Hawk Down (Avid movie fan…) in the background on a Saturday night, slowly paying less attention to the film as I audibly chuckled to myself in glee that such a positive bit of good news applied so much to my huge back problem. It was then I guess that the ‘think psychological’ approach to my back pain really kicked in, and I haven’t looked back yet. I am moving the lawn for the first time in 8 months. Throwing my son around, even though at 18 months hes obviously a lot heavier than he was 8 months ago. Swimming. Walking more. Cooking elaborate meals. The pain is ever present in the background but I laugh at it a lot of the time now. I am teasing it, and even telling my brain to f*** off (sorry…!!) out loud sometimes as I am now sick of this charade and I am now intending to be in control. I journal. I find positives each and every day, and I am healing. I know I am.

I am currently working through Steve’s book, and its brilliant. Its heavy going at times; just at the meme’s chapter, but it’s fascinating all the way through. It’s also inspirational, and if Steve can do such an amazing job of healing after all he went through, I know I can too. These reviews, books, forum and yes, your comments, are currently saving my life. It’s that serious, and it always brings a smile to my face when thinking of it like that.

2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

UkadR your post bring a smile to my face, thank you. You really are doing great and you have a strong hold on your progress. You know you will heal so you will and those success stories are powerful tools for re-enforcement. It's the truth and the truth is all we need. If I had to add 1 bit of info to your tool box I would say don't let anything frustrate you -- even the process ok. It's all natural flow, that's it -- just stay in the flow like you are. Awesome.

3. UkAdR

UkAdR Peer Supporter

Thanks for the advice Herbie - its difficult sometimes not to let days when you aren't feeling quite as good frustrate you, so its something I definitely need to work on.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.