1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

set back triggered by something I used to love

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by srton, Jul 12, 2017.

1. srton

srton Well known member

i've been jogging through this entire episode and it's been a huge source of pleasure for me. I've felt so proud that I've been able to say "it's just TMS" and have actually not had any negative issues. This is because THERE IS NOTHING STRUCTURALLY WRONG WITH ME!! And I believe this. I also started back in therapy and have been working the SEP and have started to feel much better - or at least more in touch.

However I have been avoiding the wonderful community center where I have been exercising for years. I had been going there - it was my "happy place" - a place where my exteneded family goes, a place where I really feel that I belong. I think that I haven't wanted to see people - it's easier to jog alone.

I went back today for the first time in a few months, and I had to leave due to the pain. I think I was triggered by being in a happy place and still feeling sad. I'm not good at feeling sad. Feeling that level of pain and not being able to work through it with my Sarno mantras and tools really was upsetting. I guess I'm not as far along as I thought I was.

Again, I've been running the whole time so I know that there is no explanation for being in this level of pain from a few toe touches. I'm so humbled from all of this.

2. Hey srton,

I imagine it's just going to take time getting used to doing certain kinds of exercises and being in certain kinds of places. Acclimate yourself little by little . . . maybe just try to do some easy stuff on yourself at the community center, little by little build up your confidence.

I bring the 12 daily reminders with me everywhere I go. In fact, I downloaded an mp3 and put it on my running playlist so that it comes up every now and again on the shuffle. It's been really helpful to hear it EVERY day, several times a day. I'm still early on in the SEP, and although I've made good progress, I'm still in need of daily encouragement.

Keep on journaling and going to therapy and you'll beat this pain ! Read a couple of success stories and take good care of yourself. Head up !

3. srton

srton Well known member

thank you so much. really really appreciate it.

4. Cat Lady 13

Cat Lady 13 New Member

I have been staying away from my gym because I hurt myself there four years ago which started all of this. However I am having more success with working out at home at my own pace without the pressure I feel at the gym. I don't know yet if I am going to give up my membership. I agree you might want to just take it slow and perhaps make short visits to the community center to prove to yourself you can do it.