1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Resentment vs Anger

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Richsimm22, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Richsimm22

Richsimm22 Well known member

Sometimes emotions seems to go hand in hand. When you have a lot of resentment then anger is always going to be a problem. It's only just occurred to me after about six weeks of tms therapy that one of my main emotions that I feel is resentment. I thought it was just anger but this is just a side emotion to the built up resentment I have at certain people. In a way I didn't really understand what this emotion meant or how it makes you feel so I had to google it to check and I have to say resentment it most definitely an emotion that I battle with on a daily basis and have been suppressing for a long time. I read the wiki definition to understand it and it's really helped.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resentment

I also found this link helpfull.

http://www.trans4mind.com/counterpoint/index-emotional-intelligence/valencia1.shtml

I feel I'm really starting to understand my emotions more now. I even resent the fact I have this horrible back pain and everyone else seems to be fine and enjoying life. Obviously I know there are a lot of people worse than me and everyone is battling lots of serious problems everyday. I may get angry at a comment or a put down or an opinion causing more resentment. Ive certainly got a lot more work to do I think to make sense of it all but it's slowly sinking in through doing the work.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

You are doing great and finding these great articles is really helping a lot -- so you can understand your emotions more thus giving you power over them after knowing their wiles.
    See all emotions are set-off when we re-act to outside stimuli that is out of our control thus creating resentment, whatever it might be triggered by.
    After we learn to control our reactions in a controlled calm, non- critical and non- judgmental approach then we often see huge decreases in our tension and strain thus less pain in our bodies after the reconditioning phase.
    To make a long story short, you have found a huge repression and when you learn not to re-act to this trigger then you will learn a valueable lesson in weakening the other emtions that have power over your states. Your psychological thinking has carried you very far. AWESOME
    Bless You

Lily Rose likes this.
  3. Lily Rose

Lily Rose Beloved Grand Eagle

How very defining. Words have power. Anger is an oddly resonating word, almost lyrical. Yet the core of it is so terribly dangerous. Elements of power, and even self-righteousness lace through the concept of anger. Being angry can be justified. We have every right to be angry. After all, we were wronged.

Resentment ... that word is non-lyrical, and murky. In understanding the concept of resentment, it is far easier to see how the physical pains can manifest and spill through the hapless cells of our bodies.

To look inward and wonder - is that resentment I see? ... this shifts the inner perceptions of righteousness.

Thank you for this revelation.

with grace and gratitude,
    ^_^

Richsimm22 likes this.
  4. Richsimm22

Thanks Herbie. Working through the SEP Has definitely helped me to workout where I have certain emotions and to realise that sometimes a situation or thought can trigger off many emotions at once. Before I did this program I didn't even understand what these emotions I was feeling were. All I knew is that I was feeling crap. I didn't understand that I had anxiety, guilt, worry, resentment, anger and fear sometimes all going on at once. The only way I can describe it is like sometimes. I feel like there is this ball of anxiety behind my chest and stomach that's leaking out into my system and causing me not to feel good.

There has been times in the SEP where I dont quite follow it that day because I feel I have other things I want to right about that are bothering me. So I end up coming back to that day later. Is this a good idea?
    Like at the moment Im on the last week of the SEP but I feel the need to write about resentments I currently hold or ones I remember about in the past. Does it matter about following it perfectly? I wouldn't have thought so. Like im not a fan of the spider writing. I prefer fast writing or unsent letters.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  5. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

You are doing great, processing all your moves and going with your intuition is priceless. You will be healed soon my friend.
    All you have to do is stay the course you are on and follow your intuition, your doing wonderful.
    I would suggest for you to keep giving advise to help others, as this will help you grow too my friend.
    Awesome, Bless you

Richsimm22 likes this.
  6. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

I would say, no. The activities are merely suggestions. There are no SEP police monitoring your journalling activities and perfection is so overrated. Cut yourself some slack, trust in your own intuition and do whatever YOU think is right.

7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Richsimm, I agree with yb44 that there is no strict rule for how to work SEP and it's okay to to it
    as you have time and go back to work on a day you may have skipped. You're doing it great!

Richsimm22 likes this.
  8. Richsimm22

Thanks guys all great advice as usual.

2014-03-30-18-54-55-1989987300.jpeg