1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 8 Recognizing feelings related to pain...my progress

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by dree, Nov 4, 2016.

1. dree

dree New Member

hi I find it hard to recognize which feelings are related to pain. with me it seems more related to negative thinking. ive read Dr Sarnos book and also the Great Pain deception. for about 2 or 3 weeks i felt much better while reading the books. ive also started counseling with a tms therapist. but im still strugling. i have pain all over my body. worse at shoulder blades and low back.
    i notice that my levels of 'belief' and trust fluctuate from 2 opposing spectrums. some days i can swear i have tms. other times im not so sure... ive started getting more active walking every morning, seating at my work desk for 2hrs without getting up and also typing for longer...and the pain increased a lot. then i get scared and start crying. feeling hopeless. i guess i wonder if this is normal to feel uncertain about whether this approach will work... sorry people... im struggling...i guess im looking for a quick resolution to this problem but its a process that may take time....

jaumeb likes this.
  2. Moppy

Moppy Peer Supporter

hi Dree . I feel for you and yes its quite normal to have doubts that this tms model works. We all want a quick resolution to the pain problem but its important to recognise that the key to recovery is to learn what our symptoms are trying to tell us from a psychological basis. As Dr Sarno says, we need to change our focus and accept that TMS pain exists to deflect our attention away from emotions, stressors, tensions and strains from our personality traits. Our mind-body is trying to shield us from what it believes will be emotional turmoil by giving us pain. The other thing that commonly happens is that initially symptoms can often worsen as we begin that journey and I suspect this is what is happening for you. So in a strange way, these worsening symotoms are a positive sign!

Disillusion and frustration is common for all of us, and is often another manifestation of the very personality trait that is causing the pain...eg I'm never going to get better! How will i live the rest of my life with this pain?" Can you recognise the terror this thinking is causing? I certainly experience this often....I am now on my second go round on tbe SEP course but have moved sideways to do the Recovery Program again as I'm experiencing quite a major relapse of pain after nearly a year of major improvement. I've felt SO frustrated and scared recently that it'll never go away but I know it will if I focus on the tools that this wonderful course teaches and the generous support of others on this Forum.

So try to be gentle with yourself, don't push yoursef too hard in the face of pain. Take it gradually. Accept the fact you feel discouraged and know this is normal and keep plugging away at it. You've really got nothing to lose and you will get there. When i feel really down I often read the sucess stories...they're major optimism boosters and restore my faith in this whole approach to pain! All the best, Dee. ☺

dree likes this.