1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

real talk are flu and colds tms?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by newlearner, Mar 21, 2022.

Tags:
  1. newlearner

newlearner Peer Supporter

Has anyone made this realization?

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

The realization has been made by many people that the stress of emotional repression, rage, and negativity can weaken your immune system and make you more susceptible to illness and infection. It can also impede healing from injuries.

I can recommend several authoritative authors and studies on this topic if you're interested.

3. Mr Hip Guy

Mr Hip Guy Well known member

I have had fewer "colds" since realizing TMS is part of my life. I think alot of it is seeing a minor illness like a cold in its proper context. Previously I'd get the telltale signs of a cold coming (for me: sore throat) and catastrophize all the ways it was going to ruin upcoming weekend plans, etc. Then, of course, it would fully bloom into a cold, last 10 days, and then retreat. Nothing was ever "ruined" but I always repeated that same cycle the next time around.

Now, I think at least, I don't do that catastrophizing when symptoms come up - maybe that means the cold doesn't "bloom" perhaps? Either way, I handle the inconvenience of the cold symptoms better so I consider that a win.

I know that Nicole Sachs said in one of her podcasts that she had a very similar experience to what I described above, maybe there is something to it.

Dorado and JanAtheCPA like this.
  4. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

What a great expression!

somebody told me once that colds are brought on by too many little things keeping you from making a decision COMBINED with a 'belief' in a group idea. Just like I do with a pain symptom, when I feel a cold trying to 'bloom' I turn my brain to where I am indecisive, remind myself I don't believe in illness as a religion, and say "Nope.. I don't need a distraction right now"

I get a fraction of the colds and crap I used to..

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  5. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

There certainly IS something to it! This is an excellent perspective; thank you for sharing.

6. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

You bet! When I am stressed, I get colds a lot! My guess it happens because during high stress times I am less likely to get enough rest, sleep etc, which undermines my immune system.

7. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

@TG957, I'm dealing with a sinus infection right now - and it started after I got into a series of heated arguments with some family members who didn't consult with me on major group decisions. I told my mom that my poor immunity was caused by my other relatives... and she winked right back at me, knowing damn well it's true. ;)

TG957 likes this.
  8. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Sorry to hear that, and it is so true! Try to sleep more and get rest!

Dorado likes this.