1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Quit exercising

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Barbinlr, May 7, 2022.

1. Barbinlr

Barbinlr Newcomer

I have not been participating in my normal activities as I was told by my nutritionist to rest instead, that I needed my energy to heal. But after reading here, I have decided to resume them. I was feeling depressed and missing the socialization with friends. Hopefully this will be beneficial. Any thoughts?

2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

Your nutritionalist understands nutrition but not necessarily tms. That is something to consider while consulting with her. If you can exercise, why not? Live as normal a life as possible while making an hour a day for tms work if you can. If you are in pain, work within your comfort zone to keep your nervous system as calm as you can while still moving and finding a way to make it enjoyable, fun!

3. Barbinlr

Barbinlr Newcomer

Thank you for this. This is my plan

4. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

You don’t have to follow anyone’s advice to the “t” - perfectionism is such a trait of TMS-ers. Think about what you think is best for you. Take your power over your own health. If it’s too much for a bit, you scale back your time exercising, or the intensity, or change up the activity. Think about what you are doing when doing it - try not to ruminate on the past or worry about the future. You can think about what to make for dinner later! If it’s not enough, do more or add something new - when I was talking about working up to movement with someone and discussing tms they suggested working up to a punching bag since it has been hard for me to allow myself to feel angry at some folks. Be creative! Have fun!