1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Practical mindfulness-based skills to address stress & trauma

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Ellen, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Sometimes mindfulness can seem a little vague, but there are some programs out there where people have applied the concept of mindfulness (and associated neuroscience research) to very specific skills and practices. One I like is called the Trauma Resiliency Model (TRM). It was designed to assist people who are dealing with trauma and/or the effects of chronic stress, and I feel it has a great deal of relevance and usefulness to addressing TMS. These skills are called Tracking, Resourcing, Grounding, and Shift & Stay. If interested, you can read about how to do each one at the link below. They have also developed a phone app called ichill so you always have the information at your fingertips.

http://www.ichillapp.com/Skills.html

Enjoy!

Cap'n Spanky, Colly and mike2014 like this.
  2. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks Ellen, I've just downloaded it, I'll be sure to try it.

3. Cap'n Spanky

Cap'n Spanky Well known member

Ellen- Thanks... I liked that! Very practical and not too complex. Got it bookmarked.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

That's a good one, Ellen. Thanks for sharing it.

I too find mindfulness meditation somewhat elusive and need visuals for it.
    I like some videos on Youtube that are very helpful to practice MM.
    One of my favorites is "Guided Meditation for Over-Thinking," a very relaxing video
    with Michael Sealey's soothing voice. I watch it at night before bed and is very calming,
    suggesting mindfulness of breathing in the present moment.

I also like the beautiful videos and music from a Japanese photographer-composer,
    Okanokumo. "Relaxing Nature Sounds" is a beautiful 10-minute video of a Japanese pastoral scene
    with a river and mill, with just nature sounds.

Deep breathing is so relaxing.

Cap'n Spanky likes this.
  5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Today's mindfulness summit with Rick Hanson was another interesting one about mindfulness meditation
    but again it gave little or no instructions on HOW TO MM. I can't buy all the programs these people pitch.

I find free Youtube videos to be more helpful because many of them are GUIDED MM videos like
    those of Michael Sealey.

Sorry to post not overjoyed with this series. I wish someone would just put it all together about HOW
    to practice MM in a guided video.

I'd like to know what others think about this. Am I too critical and expect too much from the summit?

6. Laughalot

Laughalot Peer Supporter

I haven't been following the summit, but thought I would offer my two cents on mindfulness meditation. Walt, are there any meditation centers in your area? I agree with you, mindfulness meditation shouldn't be something you need to pay to learn. My introduction to MM was through a 10-day silent Vipassana retreat (which are free and offered throughout the US and world). TMSWiki has an article on the Vipasanna retreat.