1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 33 Positive Changes...

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Laudisco, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Laudisco

Laudisco Well known member

I've had a number of positive changes in my life since I've started the program. One thing I'm noticing is that I'm learning not to panic when I have a relapse of pain or fatigue. It's tempting to think, "Oh no, I've failed!" or "What if it never goes away?!" but I'm learning to take it in my stride.

I have found in the last couple of days I've had some TMS pain in my neck and shoulder which I haven't been able to budge. Yet I feel more confident now that I can find the root cause, "talk to the pain" and overcome it with time. I'm also learning not to fixate so much on the pain, so that it doesn't end up controlling my life.

I'm getting past the catastrophic, "all or nothing" thinking which says, "If the pain is back then you haven't made any real progress". I know that's a lie, and that I have made a LOT of real progress. I know that I will continue to get better and that I will completely heal in time.

I just want to encourage all those who are experiencing relapses not to give up! It often feels like 'one step forward, two steps back' yet I am moving forward. :)

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Laudisco. You are doing great. If pain doesn't go away, diminish, or get worse or move around,
    it's just the subconscious doing its thing to remind us that the pain is psychological, not structural.
    I'm going to post a new thread in which Dr. Sarno reminds us that this is true.

Laudisco likes this.
  3. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Laudisco,

You appear to have it all in hand, praise yourself for the progress you have made so far - at least you are now closer to your emotions and understanding the authentic you. Walt is right, the unconscious mind is very tricky in its behaviour - just as we think we may be closer to understanding, it changes its dynamics.

I have had so many relapses, but I keep reminding myself it's psychological and it is a temporary blip which I should invest my time or emotions in.

Regards,

Mike

Laudisco likes this.
  4. Laudisco

Laudisco Well known member

Thank you Walt and Mike for the affirmation and encouragement!! It's good to know I'm not the only one experiencing relapses. :)