1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this link: http://go.tmswiki.org/newprogram
    Dismiss Notice

Oral herpes simplex = TMS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by eline, Jan 25, 2017.

  1. eline

    eline New Member

    Hi there

    I have had quite some “problems sold” because I found out about TMS, which I am super happy with! Now I wonder whether oral herpes simplex is also TMS. And more importantly; how to get rid of it.

    I have had oral herpes simplex since I was a teenager. I get it a couple of times a year when I have a lack of sleep, when I’m stressed or when a lot of people around me get a cold. Then I luckily don’t get the cold but instead I get herpes.

    The fact that I get herpes when I’m stressed or sleep depriviated might be enough proof that it might be TMS. Something I also found interesting is this; yesterday I was cleaning my room and found a cream I put on my lips when I get herpes; it stops the outbreak a little and helps the herpes to heal sooner. When I saw it, I thought; omg i forgot about herpes, I’m so glad I didn’t have this for quite a while. And then… exactly! The same evening I developed herpes again.. while this was a very long time ago. Is this proof that it is TMS? My mind remembered that there was something like herpes and decided that this is a great way of distracting me from other things? What do you guys think of this?

    And then I have another question; if indeed this is TMS, how do I stop it? With a lot of pains I had, it was quite easy; I just “thought” the pain away or I ignored it, knowing nothing was wrong and it went away. But.. herpes needs time to heal and cannot really disappear all of a sudden. Or maybe when I feel a slight tingle (the first indicator of an outbreak) I should think about TMS and it won’t come to an actual outbreak? I think by then it is already to late. Does anyone have any tips on how to treat herpes in a TMS way? It can be really annoying…

    Thanks a lot!
     
  2. Ellen

    Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

    I don't believe herpes is TMS, because, when tested, the presence of a virus is found. However, there is no doubt that herpes is exacerbated by stress, which can include stressful thoughts in addition to environmental and physiological stress. So just normal routine stress reduction activities can be helpful--both physical and psychological.
     
  3. Tennis Tom

    Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

    From the INTERNETS:

    What is Herpes?
    Herpes is virus with multiple strains; two of these strains, HSV-1 and HSV-2, cause both oral and genital herpes. Herpes viruses infect the skin and/or mucous membranes. Oral herpes presents itself as cold sores or fever blisters that affect the lips or area near the mouth. Oral herpes is most often caused by the HSV-1 strain, but oral herpes can also be caused by the HSV-2 strain. Approximately 80 percent of oral herpes cases are caused by HSV-1, while the remaining 20 percent are caused by HSV-2, and 75%-80% of Americans carry at least one Herpes Simplex Virus (Type 1 or 2).

    Herpes 1 and 2 can be contracted during vaginal, anal or oral sex. The initial outbreak of either virus strain can result in flu-like symptoms, including fever, swollen lymph nodes and body aches.



    SO, if about 80% of people have herpes--what's the matter with the other 20% who don't?--what are they, anti-social??? When we first started dating my gf laid that on me and it got me very nervous.
    So I did some research when I found out the majority of people had it, I wasn't as nervous anymore and years later I don't give it any thought. You are thinking very good TMS thoughts! You get it!

    Not wanting to disagree with Ellen because she dispenses excellent TMS KNOWLEDGE PENICILLIN here--but--in the 80's "scientists" discovered the h.pilori virus in most people's stomachs. This created a "scientific" revisionism regarding ulcers. Prior to the "discovery" of this virus, they were on-board with the TMS complementary belief, that stomach ulcers were caused by
    STRESS--after this they abandoned the stress notion in favor of the virus, which most people have in their gut.
     
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  4. Ellen

    Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

    Good points, Tom.
     
  5. Ines

    Ines Well known member

    Well I think I can help you with this one. I've had herpes 1 (which is the same as oral herpes/ cold soars.. I think ) since I was a kid. Young, like elementary. In high school I would get an outbreak all the time. Sometimes, once a month. I always had bad allergies and I thought they were related. I would always get them. When the weather changed, stress, if I had a fever, if I ate citrus.
    As an adult I would still get them 3-4 times a year. I have the same cream and it helps but it's not magic. You still have to go through it.
    Anyway... fast forward to TMS strategy that I've been doing since May. Not one cold soar. Not a single one. PLUS.... here's something really interesting... I had one coming on a couple months after I started TMS and I had never connected it before. I had the red bump and tingling. It was coming and I thought "oh, this is tms. My body is stressed. No wonder I would always get them. It's been TMS all along." I didn't even use cream. By that night it was gone. It just disappeared which has NEVER happened before.
    My allergies are gone too and I can breathe through my nose which I haven't done since I was 16. So you are right. Your body is stressed and if you keep at the TMS strategy I think it would calm down your outbreaks too.
    The reason why I think TMS helps is that you start to be aware that your fight/flight response is always on. Geez how could your body not be inflamed and stressed? Also, I notice how much more unneeded stress I put on myself just from our personalities.
    Also, like Tom said. It's true that 80% of the population has it. Once you get the virus it lives in your spinal cord. Why do some people always get outbreaks and some never?
    Sorry I'm rambling all over the place. It's just really interesting. There are lots of non-pain TMS symptoms we all have.
     
    Tennis Tom and MWsunin12 like this.
  6. eline

    eline New Member

    Wow, cool to hear that it works like that for you! And awesome that you got rid of them this way. And thanks for sharing.

    Yeah, I meant cold soars :) English is not my mother tongue. I agree the cream is not magic it is just helping a little by shortening the duration of the cold soar.

    You said you are doing TMS Strategy since may and since then you didn't have one. How did you, apart from ignoring the one that almost came, prevent them from coming? What kind of TMS strategy have you been doing?

    For the one that you prevented by seeing it as TMS: that's great! Do you have any more specific advice about it? I also thought it was TMS last time but it didn't go away...

    And I know what you mean by the breathing problem! I got rid of hay fever and also my so called allergies for house dust mites because of which I couldnt breathe at night. It also went away...
     
    Ines likes this.
  7. Ines

    Ines Well known member

    Hi, by the TMS strategy I just mean changing my lifestyle to be aware that my unconscious rage is what is causing my headaches, allergies, ear ringing and digestive problems.
    I first read Mindbody Prescription and somehow found this site. Then, I read The Great Pain Deception and started the Structured Educational Program on this site. That helped a lot.
    Since then, I've tried to reduce stress and recognize that parts of my personality are factors in my unconscious rage. I definitely still have headaches and migraines but they are getting much better. My allergies went away and my digestion is improving. But, I think I have some ways to go. I'm reading a Self Compassion book now and I'm just trying to balance work and life better.
     
    MWsunin12 likes this.

Share This Page