1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Off on a trip tomorrow

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by North Star, Nov 16, 2013.

1. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

And boy oh boy am I TMSing. Last night was full of tossing and turning, aches and pains and rashes and...blah, blah, blah. :eek:

We're leaving our kids home...they're certainly old enough! But it's still nerve racking for me.

Throw on top many other stressors right now...job/finances/figuring out when to move out of this area.

Because we're traveling light, I'm stressed over confronting unfamiliar beds and without my pillow. I keep thinking about what Steve O talks about in the book on how our bodies are able to sleep anywhere but it will be a new river to cross for me. Hard beds/pillows have always been a trigger for debilitating headaches that last for days. And anxiety over airport security is never fun. (I don't handle people touching me very well!)

I wish I felt like I could face this with fresh energy and optimism but I feel like I'm already facing these challenges disadvantaged already. Meh!

We'll only be gone 4 days.

Any pearls of advice? And as usual....thanks for reading and chiming in.

2. Lily Rose

Lily Rose Beloved Grand Eagle

*winces in sympathy* I am a high-maintenance traveler. I also do not care to be touched unless I invite it.

I do not know enough details to offer specific advice, but I will share my own methods of coping.

If staying at a hotel (preferred for personal privacy), I will get extra blankets, and put them beneath and above me for extra padding and warmth. Also extra pillows to pile around me. If staying with someone, I will explain my needs and ask for an extra blanket or two (very important to put one underneath me). I never sleep between regular sheets. I have texture/sensation issues (highly sensitive). I sleep between blankets. If the blanket is really soft, I will fold it so it becomes a sleep bag of sorts.

I also travel with lavender and eucalyptus essential oils (small bottles are allowed on the planes). The scents relax me and diminishes headaches.

Find a mantra or ten (write them down) and recite them. Try to commit one or two into memory. The easiest is I am safe. But the mind does wander so having a poem or lyrics or some such does help.

My new favorite is Sitting in my place of power, I look out at the world. In the center there is me, me and I'm feeling safe and free and I'm part of all I see.

It is important to find your own personal place of power. And know this: You ARE powerful.

Breathe. This, too, shall pass.

Grace and Gratitude ^_^

3. North Star

Those are some great ideas! When we drive, I usually bring an egg crate mattress but I think the blanket will do in a pinch. And the essential oil is a good idea too..I have lavender. I often will use a hot rice pack sprinkled with lavender when I'm needing help getting muscle tension settled down.

And the mantra is a great idea too. I've been working on that lately anyway. I've dealt with insomnia for the past 20 years I'm working on reprogramming my brain in that department too.

I always remind myself before anything I'm anxious over, "This time next week, (or whatever the time frame), this will be over." To know I'll be home on Thursday is good.

One thing I AM looking forward to is the fact that my hubby and I RARELY get alone time. Our days are packed with meetings but there will still be some down time and time to visit with some family too. :p

4. Msunn

Msunn Well known member

For me what helps is concentrating on the fun parts of a trip or even recalling past trips where we had a great time and anticipating doing the same this time. Easier said than done sometimes! My TMS symptoms relate to when I work so when they flare up as I travel I try as much as possible to shift the focus to other things. In other words I can enjoy the trip whether TMS symptoms are present or not, if I let myself. Hope you have an enjoyable trip!

5. North Star

Msunn...good advice! We definitely have some fun things that we're looking forward to; I will focus on that.

Thanks for your well wishes. :)

6. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Montana Mom,
    You're living in the past and future right now. Try to stop, breathe, and fall in to the present moment. Remind yourself that you are perfectly safe right now, and the next moment, and the one after that.... No TSA agent has touched you yet, no hard bed has stolen your sleep yet, etc. It is all perception. Breathe and approach each moment open to a new and wonderful experience.

You are going to have a wonderful trip. Enjoy! I look forward to hearing about it when you return.

Solange likes this.
  7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Living in the present moment was the sermon at Mass this morning.

The priest said, "The past is behind you, forgotten. We can plan for the future,
    but it is in God' s hands. This is the day. Let us rejoice in it and be glad in it."

MontanaMom likes this.
  8. North Star

Great words of encouragement, Ellen. I will take them to heart. We're leaving for the airport in just a short while. The thing that I find so ironic is I know from experience that the VAST majority of the time when I get a dreaded event behind me....the dread has ALWAYS been worse than the actual event. Ya'd think I'd learn by now.

You have a wise priest, Walt! Thank you for sharing.

9. nancy

nancy Well known member

Hi Montana Mom, are you home yet? Just wondered how your trip went. Hope it
    was wonderful for you both. Let me know when you can. Love to you, Nancy

10. North Star

Sweet Nancy, I am back! Got back on Friday actually....it's just taken me a while to get back in the saddle. I've missed the forum and keeping up with my program.

The trip overall went very well. I had plenty of opportunity to talk to my TMS. Eg, instead of blaming the aches and pains on the bed, I reminded myself it was TMS. And yes, it did flare pretty good for part of the trip but I weathered it all quite well, I think.

Thanks so much for asking!
    Love, North Star (My new moniker)

11. nancy

nancy Well known member

Hi, I wondered how you were doing. I was concerned. I am so happy that you did
    pretty well!! I know about the aches and pains but they will go away. Be proud
    of your progress! I will talk to you in the am. You are cared about and loved by
    me and everyone else here. Nancy

North Star likes this.
  12. North Star

Awww, thanks, Nancy. And the same to you....you are loved!

13. Lily Rose

Yay, you are back :)

I enjoyed an Espresso Madness ice cream cone in your honour.

^_^

North Star likes this.
  14. North Star

Aw, thanks, Lily Rose! It's a bit chilly in my part of the woods for such a cold indulgence but know I will think of you when I do. :)

15. Lily Rose

It is getting below freezing here, but I sit in a warm truck and slowly devour it as I drive. There is a little corner, walk up diner in town that serves excellent food (I don't eat there, as I am a vegetarian), but they have my favorite ice cream. It is the only place I will get it from. It takes almost the entire drive home for me to eat it. The drive is about 20 minutes. I will not get the ice cream if parking is an issue. I always leave it to Fate. I enjoy the wanting of it. It becomes an anticipation. If it doesn't happen, I simply store that anticipation for another day. Sometimes, wanting something is pleasurable. I can go for years wanting. I have learned that having doesn't always carry the same pleasure.

You are back from your trip, and I will be starting mine in a few days, heading to the coast. It is our yearly tradition. A place to breathe and rejuvenate. We hope our new family member, Lucy, will enjoy the adventure. Dogs usually love the beach.

I will, of course, be bringing my computer. I cannot be far from my ability to write my thoughts and create my projects.

with grace and gratitude,
    ^_^

16. North Star

I like your approach, Lily Rose! Going to the coast sounds lovely. When I do my daily guided imageries, I always end up on the coast listening to the ocean.