1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

No Luck

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Boston Redsox, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

After spending a year or so off the wiki and focused all my attention in healing forgiveness therapy and so on ...I am no better in my 9 yr journey of TMS .

Looking for any good advice that can prevent me from going back the medical route.

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

3. Boston Redsox

Thx you Andy I need more of these stories to keep me on track ...the therapy was more someone unbiased just to talk to and let it out ...I guess a form of verbal journaling instead of writing you I have done ..
    I am done with all of that I feel I have went over and over all my traumas and don’t wont to revisit them again. It doesn’t serve me anymore I am ready to heal and have been for awhile but it’s obvious there is resistance still in me .
    I feel loneliness and lack of companionship is a great feeder of the wrong wolf ...which seems to be getting all my attention . I had to go back on a anxiety med it has been just overwhelming of late ..but I am not judging that ...but in judging my failure at Tms recovery and I am not being that easy on myself .

4. Duggit

Duggit Well known member

Sarno wrote in The Divided Mind that he found it was necessary to refer about 20 percent of the patients he accepted into his program for psychotherapy. This was not just any psychotherapy but rather was ISTDP, a method developed by psychiatrist Dr. Habib Davanloo at McGill University in Montreal. Sarno was no advocate of cognitive behavioral therapy or other "supportive" therapies. He wrote in The Divided Mind: "It is clear that the therapist must be dynamically (analytically) trained to recognize and work with these problems . . . ." Dr. Arlene Feinblatt, who was Sarno's chief psychologist, reportedly learned ISTDP from Davanloo himself and taught the method to other psychologists Sarno used. A hallmark of ISTDP is that patients usually find the therapy more stressful than supportive, at least initially. In a segment of The Divided Mind that Feinblatt wrote, she said: "The pressure from the interviewing psychologist and the degree of toleration of the patient to the stress of the process serve to identify the patient's strengths and weaknesses. . . . The degree to which the patient tolerates these challenges and the patient's responses to them will indicate the ego strength, and ability of the patient to make use of further [ISTDP] therapy."

There are very few therapists in the United States who have done the rigorous ISTDP training needed for proficiency. There happens to be an eminent one in Belmont, MA, namely, Nat Kuhn, M.D. Kuhn said in responding to a negative review of Schubiner's Unlearn Your Pain book, "it is easy to do ISTDP poorly, and not so easy to do it really well." I am aware of Kuhn only through a reference manual on ISTDP he wrote for therapists, and based on that I am sure he does ISTDP really well. Also, Kuhn says Schubiner has referred patients to him. I expect Kuhn is expensive, but given your apparent desperation, you might consider scheduling an appointment with him. The initial appointment typically goes two or three hours, which gives both patient and doctor a good basis to evaluate whether to proceed further. I will add one more thing, though, that Kuhn said in his response to the negative review of Schubiner's book: "Symptom relief in ISTDP can be very rapid, though for various reasons musculoskeletal pain can be less rapid than other somatic symptom disorders like migraines, IBS, nonepileptic seizures, etc."

To avoid misunderstanding, I should also say I am not a psychotherapist. I am just a former longtime sufferer from various forms of TMS who ultimately consulted a physician who had trained with Sarno (not one of the few who are well known to have done that). I soon figured out, to my surprise, that he was more into ISTDP than into what Sarno did in his office, and that stimulated me to read the technical literature on it.

5. Boston Redsox

Thx you so so so much for reaching out I have done some Tms therapy it was very informative to look out for the pitfalls of Tms but not much more plus could afford it anymore . But yes I did reach out to him he’s only 10 miles from me and I will see where this goes.
    Thx you so much