1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Week 0 No horrific changes

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by jwiles, Jul 10, 2015.

1. jwiles

jwiles Peer Supporter

My nephew came over last night and I spent a couple hours playing video games with him. I probably haven't played video games in the last six months. Anything that involves repetitive movement of the hands I try to avoid out of the fear of pain. After I read a couple of success stories last night he gave me the boost to at least try some of the things I wanted to do. I have to say I didn't get any real pain out of it. I was more concerned about the pain I might feel when I woke up this morning. That had become a normal thing not feeling pain til several hours after doing someThing. I did wake up with pain from my left elbow up to my hand but I slept on it the whole night. And some very mild discomfort in my right hand. But that's pretty much the same pain ive been feeling the last couple weeks In the morning. So it didn't get any worse so that's a good sign.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Jwiles. Fearing and expecting pain the morning after any activity can bring on the pain. It's a conditioned reflex, and can be avoided if you tell yourself you are going to enjoy the activity and not think at all about it causing any pain.

You have begun the SEP, so now do some journaling about your emotions. Something psychological/emotional is causing pain symptoms. Maybe repressed emotions or a perfectionist-goodist personality. Don't spend more than half an hour a day on journaling or it can be stressful. Enjoy yourself and think happy thoughts. Practice deep breathing... Inhale through the nose to the count of 4, hold your breath for 4, then exhale through the mouth for 4.
    It's profoundly relaxing.