1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Newcomer on day 3 of structured program

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by tmsthrowaway05, Sep 12, 2020.

1. tmsthrowaway05

tmsthrowaway05 Peer Supporter

Article I read was really helpful in reiterating Sarno's work. The idea was always skeptical to me, even after reading his entire book and agreeing with it, I'd say "no way this can be TMS the pain is so real". But the idea of tension and stress/anxiety causing spasms/lack of blood/oxygen deprivation makes so much sense. The human body really is remarkable regarding pain and healing, so I'd always wonder how could this be? How could I be in such pain for this long of a time. I guess recurrent spasms and such due to tension could be it? Anyway the article was great and just wanted to vent on here about the question to ponder which is how long ago did I do any physical activity. I walk for an hour at a fast speed every day and usually I am stressed during it in terms of my breathing/focusing on the pain, it really is horrible. I expect the unpleasantness and it's there every time.

2. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

The mind and the body are constantly interacting with and influencing one another. It always seems impossible when we are told that our symptoms may be caused by the intimate connection between both. But you’re right - it makes SO much sense! When we are embarrassed, we blush. When we get into a fight with a loved one or stress over a test, we develop headaches, stomachaches, chest pain, etc. We all experience it, but some of us hit rock bottom and/or stress over the symptoms so much that we get stuck in fight-or-flight mode and see this on a much more severe level. This should be good news because we CAN overcome it!

Focusing on the pain only drives it. Don’t get caught up in the idea of healing. What relaxes you? What makes you smile? How can you take steps to live the life you truly desire, even baby steps? Start there. Stressing over “healing” isn’t necessary because you aren’t broken - your mind is simply telling you that something needs work.

3. tmsthrowaway05

tmsthrowaway05 Peer Supporter

I get discouraged at times like today, I'm playing video games and watching tv and my back just kills me. I'm not stressed or anything but it just hurts so much so why am I in pain or having spasms if I'm not stressed?

4. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

Even if you don't actively feel stressed out right now, your body is still stuck in sympathetic (fight-or-flight) mode; this is a sign that your day-to-day emotions are heightened more than they should be and need some balancing. Also, these symptoms are clearly causing you distress right now, which is understandable and something you can overcome, but don’t underestimate the stress it’s presently causing you. This was one of the reasons I couldn't believe the neurologists who said my nerve pain, muscle twitches, Raynaud's and digits with crazy colors, etc. were the product of heightened emotions. But they were indeed correct!