1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

new to the forum, not new to TMS

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by fridaynotes, May 3, 2016.

1. fridaynotes

fridaynotes Well known member

Hello!
    My name is Tim and I have recently come onto the forum because my TMS equivalents keep popping up and it's time I really fully embrace the methodology.
    I have been aware of TMS through Dr Sarno's books which were recommended to me by someone who said they didn't work but thought I should give it a try. Subsequently, they worked wonders for me! But I am the type of person who has always believed in the mind/body connection, I just didn't have a name for it.
    I had suffered from sporadic back pain since I was 20 that would come on intensively for a week then disappear. It progressively got more regular and I was of course under the impression it was because of a scoliosis diagnosis as a teenager. I thought my fragile back had serious structural issues and would try to take things easy.
    However, when I read about and fully understood TMS, my back pain essentially stopped and has never come back in almost 5 years. Thank god I found Dr. Sarno's books before I ended up in surgery! However, since the back pain went away, other TMS style equivalents have popped up to function in the same capacity. Usually I have been able to scold my subconscious mind and talk my way out of these pains such as a varicocele, gas pain, headaches, colds, neck pain, blurry vision, constipation, etc...
    However, more recently I have been suffering from severe upset stomach, acid reflux and chest discomfort. These have all created wild anxiety and panic, which has exacerbated all the symptoms. My doctor has prescribed Prilosec and Gaviscon, which I have been taking and they mostly work, but I know the issue is TMS so I am trying to really face my stress and emotions, some which may be deeper and more hidden than I imagined.
    I still have mild chest discomfort from what seems to be anxiety and heartburn but it's lessened as well. I have found hypnosis on YouTube helps a great deal on many counts. I have also found journaling to be helpful but what really drives me crazy is every time I seem to get over one TMS thing, within a few months another pain or discomfort pops up. It's like the game where you hit one clown down with a mallet and another pops up through a different hole! Anyone else have that issue?

2. David88

David88 Well known member

Hello Tim, and welcome to the forum.

Oh my yes, that's very common. Sarno calls it the symptom imperative. I've dealt with it for years.

It means that while you can talk yourself out of one symptom, you still have a psychological need for distraction, so other symptoms keep arising.

Think of your symptoms as a sign. They are covering some unwanted feeling. If you can learn to hear what's underneath, you can get off the symptom treadmill.

David.

Gigi likes this.