1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

New here

Discussion in 'Success Stories Subforum' started by andy11, Jul 3, 2014.

1. andy11

andy11 New Member

Last January I decided I'd get some exercise by climbing stairs to my 5th floor office everyday. From day one my back started hurting around floor 3, but I kept at it for weeks. The result was not being able to stand up straight, extreme pain, and walking with a shuffle for 7 weeks. The DR told me pain management was my option, and got an epidural shot, which really did relieve the worst pain-I was able to stand and walk again.
    Still, the fear of the pain returning overwhelmed me. I also had an MRI which showed 3 bulging discs, and some arthritis, which was really scary.
    I recalled Dr. Sarno from years of listening to Howard Stern, and read two of his books.. I knew there was 'something' to it, but couldn't really put it together for it to be really effective. I then ordered Dr Sarno's Mindbody Prescription dvd, and watched it every day for 3 weeks. This is when the material finally began to make sense in a real way. I found that on each viewing, things that went right by me the day before, suddenly hit me like cold water in the face, and I've begun to get more excited about the truths and possibilities that Dr Sarno teaches.
    I still experience pain at times, usually down by the tailbone, or around my shoulders-the usual culprits, but the depilating pain has not come back, and I'm confidant it won't. At first it seemed incredible that bulging disks were not causing pain, or anything to worry about, but I've found that has been the easiest concept for me to understand. I have no fear about any of that-I know it's not physical, and that I'm basically ok.
    I still work on the psychological though, and probably always will. I t really does make a difference to put the time in every day to do the 12 reminders, and talk to my brain about it.
    I just found this website , and am excited that there is so much to offer here. At the same time, I don't think I need to use this as a 'crutch', as I know I'm ok, and there is nothing wrong with my back. It is good to learn and hear from others, though. Thanks for making this site.

2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome to the forum, Andy, and congrats on all your success! It's great to have you here.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

4. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

andy11 I'm so glad you found your way. There are many pluses to knowing it's tms and moving forth with your life for sure. You would still do great to read some post about your emotional health from time to time so you can keep your tools sharp.
    This is just my way of saying I really want to hear more from ya friend and want to know that you continue to stay well as your life turns into your best life now.
    Awesome Success, bless you.
    You got it.

5. andy11

andy11 New Member

Thanks Herbie. I often take time to read different things here. I'm all too aware of the importance of repetition and reinforcement. I had a stressful day at work recently, and lo and behold, I had sudden sharp pains in my back as a result. On my drive home I listened to Dr Sarno's book, and thought about all I've learned in the last few months. By the time I got home, most of the pain had gone, and I took my wife out to a 3 hour movie,even though sitting in theater chairs are common triggers for my back pain. I was pleased by the success, but realize I need to keep working, and this site is a great place and resource.

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Andy. Work stress is no stranger to me. My book publisher boss just will not stop lying to me. I won't say what about,
    but know he is. It could have given me back pain, but I decided to think about why he lies to me and figured it is just
    his nature to lie to me and others. Knowing that, I don't let it get to me. I even laugh about it, to myself, that he really
    is nuts.

You gave yourself a real test by sitting through a three hour movie in a theater. I laugh today when they make
    such long movies. GONE WITH THE WIND needed that many hours to tell the book, but CASABLANCA
    was less than 2 hours. Hollywood takes too long to tell a story today and includes too many songs.
    I was told they have so many songs in a movie so they can sell the CD.

Keep up the great TMS healing work.