1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 3 My first post.

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Irene, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Irene

Irene Peer Supporter

Greetings.

I've never been an active person, and my TMS symptoms do not involve back pain. However, they have in the past. In fact, I've had spinal surgery, and plenty of PT, pain medications, and muscle relaxers. I've had tennis elbow, TMJ, IBS, laryngitis, and so forth.

I'm convinced of the truth behind Dr Sarno's theory. Now, as soon as I have any physical ailment whatsoever, I wonder if it's on Dr. Sarno's list. I'm also convinced of his theory of the "symptom imperative."

So, my problem is not so much as being convinced, as getting around to the work of identifying what's going on inside me which insists on triggering, hiding behind, physical symptoms.

I also believe that depression is a piece of my puzzle at this time, perhaps a result or, better, a companion, of current stresses.

As I'm rereading the above, I'm chewing on my cuticles, and wondering what I'm about to stir up.

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Irene,
    If you're embarking on this healing journey, then yes, you will be stirring up a lot of stuff. It will seem very difficult at times, and there will likely be times when you want to stop. But hang in there and take it one day at a time, being as kind to yourself as you can along the way. And it will all be absolutely worth it.

Welcome to the Forum! Wishing you all the best....

Zade likes this.
  3. Irene

Irene Peer Supporter

Thank you, Ellen! It was nice finding your message this morning.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Irene. Ellen has it right that discovering repressed emotions takes time and patience but leads to not only
    healing from symptoms but to a new understanding of ourselves and others. It did that for me.
    I learned that my parents did the best they could despite their divorce, and that they most likely had
    their own TMS from stresses of their present and earlier lives. It led to me forgiving them and that
    ended my back pain.

While you are on the TMS journey it's common to feel depressed at times.
    Just fight that "Inner Bully" by using positive affirmations.

Someone else posted today that she is reminded of Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz
    who discovered she had the power to go home again inside her head (and by clicking
    her ruby red shoes she got home again). The woman posting about that said she tells herself
    "It's all in my head; it's all in my head," and she feels better.

Happy Thanksiving!

5. Zade

Zade New Member

/
    I think whatever you stir up you can be glad of the discovery and it will not be as bad as the physical pain.