1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 23 Most Helpful

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by KevinB, Jun 28, 2015.

1. KevinB

KevinB Well known member

Hello community,

Today marks the first day of the second half of the SEP program. It has been quite a journey so far, but slow to full recovery. The pain has certainly improved since starting the program, but it still comes on from time to time. But the difference now is that I'm beginning to realize that there are triggers, the main one being that I anticipate the pain before I walk or stand, and sure enough it starts to hurt. I also fear it, so I still limit my walking and standing, but I aim to begin doing it much more now in this second half. Journaling has helped tremendously in seeing these connections. I also started therapy last week, so I'm hoping that, coupled with this program, will put an end to this TMS. I feel confident.

Another thing that has been helpful has been noticing how it has moved around a bit. The last week I've had some neck pain. I normally don't have neck issues, so I really think it's the TMS moving around. Lastly, I had scheduled an appointment with a TMS doc here in NYC about two weeks ago, but he was booked up until the end of July. I've come to believe that this is actually holding me back - that is, I believe it's hindering my 100% acceptance of TMS until I see him.... I don't want to wait that long (another month), my symptoms are 100% inline with Dr. Sarno and all other TMS related literature and research I've done, so I've decided I'm going to cancel the appointment this week. I can always schedule another one in the future if need be. I see this as a gradual process of stripping away the doubts- the first major one I posted about last week, I ripped up my MRI results and threw them out; now I will cancel this month-away appointment; I will also begin walking/standing more, trying not to anticipate pain/fear.

I am so grateful for this program and this website - it truly is a gift.

That's it for now. Best,

Kev

Mala likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hello, Kevin. You deserve a brotherly hug for your success so far.
    Throwing out your MRI report and cancelling the appointment with the TMS therapist are wonderful ways to convince your subconscious that you believe your symptoms are from TMS and are not structural. Now continue to work on believing in TMS 100 percent. It can be a tough one, but it is the main one in healing. That your pain moves around also is convincing about healing because that's what Dr. Sarno says happens when your subconscious makes a last-ditch effort to get you to believe totally in TMS.

Try not to anticipate or fear the pain. Move on to enjoying life. Pleasant thoughts and activities really help.

KevinB likes this.