1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Meditation question: does it matter how?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Zuz, May 12, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Zuz

Zuz Peer Supporter

I have always avoided meditation all my life because I found it boring to focus on feeling my breath. I never had a problem to stay still and enjoy the sound of leaves moving in the wind, watching waves, listening to bird song or at least imagine I am slowly canoeing trough a calm lake or other soothing image.
    Is there a difference in the result to focus on one’s breathing ( or other body) sensation versus breathing calmly and enjoying imagining the sea or birds or whatever?
    I have discovered I really urgently need to teach my brain how to feel safe as it has rarely felt safe ever. Looks like the mindful exercices are key.
    Is there a difference about focusing on a nice visualisation or sound and noticing when other thoughts come and just go back to calm thing we visualize
    Versus
    Focusing ( but not too intensely) on our breathing?

thank you

2. Sita

Sita Well known member

I don't know. I presume it doesn't matter. Just try both methods and see. Choose the one that works better to calm you down.

Take care.

Zuz likes this.
  3. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

Hi Zuz,

i’m the same way when it comes to meditation. That’s why I like the progressive muscle relaxation. It’s active and passive while focusing on breathing.

Zuz likes this.
  4. Zuz

Zuz Peer Supporter

Yes I have also been doing the active muscle relaxation, thank you. But I think I do it with waaaay too much intent - like pressure of performance to relax a muscle- so does not feel relaxing to my mind. Working on it!

5. Sita

Sita Well known member

Have you ever tried Qi Gong? It's a light form of exercise, gentle. The breathing and movements are great for relaxation. It can be like a meditation if you move slowly and breath in and out slowly and without thinking too much. You can start with this and then continue after a few months with other forms of meditation. I think it will help you to start gradually by doing QiGong for now. See if you like it.

Take care.

FredAmir and Zuz like this.
  6. Cap'n Spanky

Cap'n Spanky Well known member

Zuz likes this.
  7. Zuz

Zuz Peer Supporter

Yes i did. That’s what got me thinking that perhaps dome of the meditation should include practicing feeling yourself ...
    Thank you :)

Cap'n Spanky likes this.
  8. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

I use the Curable app to meditate and it can focus on the breath but the guides often say you don’t have to focus on that. I like to vary things. Sometimes breath location (say, nostrils),sometimes I use a pelvic meditation mixed with diaphragm breathing which guides you through mental visualizations. I’m starting some Somatic Tacking..I don’t do so well with body scans per se but guided somatic tracking seems ok. I do not do well with progressive muscle relaxation.
    Personally I think for me, I concentrate on “getting it right” or “feeling it right” especially when my anxiety is high. Whatever you do, the point is to soften that focus of concentration AS thoughts drift in and out and right on by (and soften the getting it right!).
    I prefer guided meditations, many do not. My key is to do them at least 2x per day right now no matter how “successful” I felt.

Sita, Zuz and FredAmir like this.
  9. Zuz

Zuz Peer Supporter

Yes i noticed I needed to stop trying to get it right. It’s better now!

Sita and FredAmir like this.
  10. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

I tried to follow various meditation styles, poses and techniques, until I realized that following anything or anybody made me even more anxious because I could never do it perfectly. So, I stopped following the rules and just sat there and let my mind be.

The only rule that I have is to sit past the moment when anxiety rises, always about 15-20 minutes into it. Once I get past the increase in anxiety, I enter my equilibrium of mind and can meditate for another hour easily.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    Cap'n Spanky, Sita and Zuz like this.
  11. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

Remember mindfulness is a form of meditation.

So whatever you do, whether it’s driving or walking or cooking, focus on the task at hand. When your mind wanders, bring it back to what you are doing. That’s an easy way to develop a new mindfulness habit.

backhand, TG957 and Zuz like this.
  12. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

I would state is differently: meditation is an exercise in mindfulness. Mindfulness means being aware of our surroundings, our place in those surroundings and the state of our mind and being at the moment. Meditation happens when we disconnect from any other activities and focus on our mindfulness. I agree with you that mindfulness can and should be practiced at any time, and meditation can be very short, when we take a pause in the middle of a busy day. After I learned how to meditate, I often take just 3-5 minutes to bring myself into the state of mental balance after a stresssful event. So the key is to develop a technique and know how and when to use it.