1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Managing tooth pain

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Piano Mom, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Piano Mom

Piano Mom New Member

Hi all,

I don’t think I’ve ever written out my whole story here. Suffice it to say, after struggling for three years with lower back pain, I read Dr. Sarno’s book and was 80% better by just reading it. I’m a textbook case of TMS. I’ve had a lot of success in managing various pains by using the journaling method.

So, a number of years ago I was struggling with TMJ issues, lots of clenching, and had several root canals and crowns. Since learning about TMS, I have been able to manage a lot of my TMJ and tooth pain and jaw issues. But because of all of the dental work I’ve had done, I get really anxious when I go to the dentist for a cleaning. This morning at my six month checkup, my dentist found a tiny cavity in one tooth. (Additionally, on my X-ray she saw that a previous root canal tooth has a bit of a shadow on the roots. My dentist believes that it is probably scar tissue but is going to keep an eye on things in case it turns into an abscess.) I’m going back in three weeks for a filling on the cavity. In the last couple of weeks I have felt a small amount of sensitivity around that tooth but it wasn’t concerning. Well, ever since I was told I have a cavity on it, that tooth has been super sensitive. Ugh! I had so many painful tooth issues in the past that I feel my mind and body are kind of hyper-reacting to the fact that I have a tiny cavity, and that any sensation I feel in that tooth must be an emergency. The other tooth, with the root canal we are watching, has put my mind in a paranoid state as well.

Any thoughts on how I can calm my mind? I think that the tooth with the cavity actually is somewhat sensitive, but my mind’s reaction to it makes it worse. This is not a dental emergency. Maybe that’s what I need to tell myself over and over. Thanks for listening.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Piano Mom -

That's certainly my answer, because it's what I do. I believe that most of my symptoms are the result of constant fight-or-flight mode, brought on by my hyper-vigilant primitive and fearful and negative brain. We CAN turn off those negative messages, and replace them with positive and/or constructive messages that we know are true. The problem is that our primitive brains automatically go to the negative, which is just an ancient survival technique that has little relevance in today's world.

I employ self-talk every time I go to the dentist, which is "Hey brain, I'm perfectly safe here, I'm in good hands, so even if there's a little pain, it's totally unnecessary because I can't come to any harm, in fact we're making sure that my teeth will last a long long time!".

What is amazing is how HARD it is to talk back to our stupid fearful brains and to put a stop to the negativity. Just keep reminding yourself that that part of your brain actually IS kind of stupid - or primitive, anyway :D

~Jan

3. NYCfamilyguy

NYCfamilyguy New Member

Hi piano mom, I just read your post, but boy can I identify. Now I’m here for back pain but 4 yrs ago it was the teeth. I had some actual problems, but I had teeth root canaled that didn’t clinically need it, but my mind convinced me that there was bad pain, so eventually the teeth got root canaled. The pain didn’t get better and they were going to pull one tooth to get rid of the unexplained pain. I was tired of pulling and root canals so I told myself (over and over again) until I see an abscess, I’m not going back to the dentist for this. It took a while and I sometimes get a little discomfort, but the pain went away. No abscess 4 yrs later. Just tell yourself that your tooth will not abscess in three weeks ( when I was young I had huge cavities in some teeth for many months- and then just went and got them filled). As far as the other tooth, just keep telling yourself that you’ll wait to see an abscess before thinking about it and then force your mind to something else. The fear will get weaker. When I had my teeth issues and I read about people with multiple abscesses in their mouth for a long time, I thought “I guess my questionable tooth is not that dangerous.”

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  4. AllPgy

AllPgy New Member

Hi.
    I also suffered back pain for years and healed using TMS techniques. Interestingly, I then got knee and then ankle pains which I treated the same way. About 2 months ago I then got severe tooth ache. Having never suffered I treated the symptoms the same way though meditation, journalling etc. I also ignored the pain and related anxiety and guess what...the pain is now gone.

My advice is treat the same way...i think this is another pain adjacency triggered by the symptom imperative. Good luck

JanAtheCPA likes this.