1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Leg and arm muscles

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by ellie freegan, Jan 4, 2016.

1. ellie freegan

ellie freegan Peer Supporter

Just wondering if anyone knows why leg and arm muscles are not involved in Tms thank you

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, ellie. I've seen posts here by those with leg and arm pain. They are from TMS, I am sure.
    Dr. Sarno writes about both in Healing Back Pain.

3. mdh157

mdh157 Well known member

I think more people deal with symptoms that are central in their bodies because that is where we tend to hold more stress........just a theory.

4. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

If we look at the term coined by Dr Sarno, TMS (Tension Myositis Syndrome) is caused by oxygen deprivation to muscle. However, since then we've discovered it can extend well beyond the muscles.

The definition of Myositis by the good Dr means physiologic alterations to muscle.

Therefore, leg and arm muscles would be included by definition.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  5. ellie freegan

The reason I ask this as I have been watching a lecture on YouTube by Dr Sarno and he said the legs can be involved in Tms but it would be tendons or nerves in the legs not muscles so I was wondering why this is. Thank you

6. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Ellie,

I've seen the video and as my previous post states, when the initial term 'mysotis' was coined it was limited to just muscle, but since his work has developed it extends well beyond muscles to nerves, tendons etc. It's is just the phrase "TMS", which is out of date.

Regards

7. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

That may be under the old def of TMS=Tension Myositis Syndrome, from Dr. Sarno's earlier books. His new term is THE MINDBODY SYNDROME, worked out with Dr. Marc Sopher, which keeps the TMS acronym, but expanding the symptoms widely, (see my sig. below).

Dr. Sarno was a physiatrist (that's not the same as a psychiatrist but he pretty much became one). The TMS epidemic of the day was back pain and that was the area he was trained in being a rehab doctor. He found the treatments and the outcomes were making no logical sense and started questioning what was going on--the rest is history--but he hasn't been awarded the Noble Prize yet--history moves slowly and the winners write it--maybe Al Gore can put in a good word for him with the committee or Howard Stern.

mike2014 likes this.
  8. ellie freegan

Okay this is very clear now. Thank you very much