1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Journaling

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by prisd, Feb 22, 2016.

1. prisd

prisd Peer Supporter

I wonder if anyone can comment on this. While I'm journaling for the SEP, and it also happened when I was journaling in Schechter's Mindbody Workbook, I notice that I feel more anxiety and my mind is less rested. I'm less present. It's much harder to meditate and my mind jumps all over the place.

My friend who cured her TMS pain said that when she journaled, it felt like a big weight was off her shoulders. I don't feel that way. I feel more anxiety sometimes and more fidgety. I had a few days where I felt on the verge of crying (actually did at one point when I was alone).

2. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Hi prisd. Maybe working two programs at once is stressing you out? Journaling does not come naturally to me, but I did find it helpful when working my way through the SEP. I even look back sometimes to remember what proved to be helpful. Perhaps if you're anxious it's time to back off a bit.
    Hang in there-- and don't be afraid of tears. They often bring a much-needed release!

3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi prisd,

Anxiety can be a TMS symptom, you know? You can see it that way, and gently ask "if I wasn't feeling this distraction, what would I be feeling?"

To me, if the stuff you're writing about makes you anxious, it is probably working at a pretty deep level, as you suggest about your tears. And that deeper work may not be conscious to you. I think your reaction is not out of the norm. I would just take it easy, and not push yourself too much, as Gigi suggests. Maybe do a day of just reading Sarno, or other activity related to education, after a day of journaling which brings up anxiety.

Andy B

4. prisd

prisd Peer Supporter

Okay, thanks for the feedback. Yes, I think it's stirred up a lot of emotions.

5. karinabrown

karinabrown Well known member

Hi Prisd,

I am in day 7 of SEP: And have the same problem! But i don't really think it is strange : Cause: Wrinting about past stresfull events forcing me to go back to painfull periods of my Life: I think is normall that u get more anxiety : I do .
    Don't like that ! But maybe that says a lot? Going 'back' to fear..grieve.and stress can't be easy can it?