1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

John Sarno books

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Hopeful83, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Hopeful83

Hopeful83 New Member

If I had to pick one John Sarno book to read, what would you recommend?
    My pain is not back--it's chronic migraines for 10 years plus 2-4 times a week each lasting 24 hours unless I take a prescription immitrex which knocks it out within 2 hours usually. Otherwise, it's in bed with an ice pack until I can sleep it off...

kevinmichael likes this.
  2. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Personally, I thought 'Healing Back Pain' was the best, it was simple and easy to digest. I also purchased the audio Cd, there is something soathing about listening to the good Dr read, it's almost as if he's supporting you.

If you wish to build on your knowledge The Divided Mind is a good follow-up.

I'm interested in knowing other people's thoughts, too.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
    SunnyinFL and IrishSceptic like this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Those two Dr. Sarno books are my favorites about TMS.
    Steve Ozanich's book THE GREAT PAIN DECEPTION is wonderful in explaining how he healed from TMS pain.
    I'd also suggest the book I wrote with another TMSer, Eric Watson, GOD DOES NOT WANT YOU TO BE IN PAIN.
    There are many healing technique suggestions in it, and we add the spiritual element to MindBody TMS healing.
    It's best ordered at CreateSpace eBooks.

You will heal fastest if you believe 100 percent in TMS causing your migraines, like this post from another TMSer.

Instead of the prescription drug, have you tried Tylenol? It might do as well. Meditation and deep breathing are how I get rid of headaches but I don't think they are migraines.

nowtimecoach Well known member
    New

Oh its been so long since I've visited all of you wonderful people - the healed and the healing folks. My life is forever changed as a result of this forum, the books that were suggested, read and discussed and the opportunities to receive support from so many people on the TMS recovery path.

Am I 100% recovered? Not quite but when I have a flare up, its usually been a situation or circumstance that is extremely stressful. Usually a feeling of being trapped and out of control. It depends upon my acceptance of what is and a surrender to self-care that predicates how long the flare up will last. I've had a few instances in the last 2 months as my partner and I decided to sell her house and move to Tucson.

So many changes, deadlines, pressure and lots of "I don't know!" brought up a few bouts. But they rarely last more than a day or two. And because I practiced what everyone suggests on this forum, I always knew what to do and I didn't ruminate or worry that it was going to last long.

I am so eternally grateful to all of you. I am grateful to everyone who has written a book that gives us the solution, the hope and hammers in the fact that we have control over TMS. To all of you in pain today, I promise that you will get better if you keep accepting the psychological component to all of this. I remind myself if I have a flare up that I'm vulnerable to old habits. That vulnerability leaves me open for my brain to pop up its old directive to send pain to my back. Its just an old outdated mechanism of protection that still does not serve me very well.

I hope you read this as a message of hope. Never stop believing that you are going get better! Stay close to the wonderful people on this forum. Read the books. Do the work and you'll be rewarded with a pain free life. For me, I got the bigger bonus of a greater self-awareness, of patterns that I was blind to and a sense of empowerment. All this because of TMS. So it ended up being a gift. Of course, I would NOT be able to say this so cavalierly if I was still in pain 24/7!!![​IMG][​IMG]

Hopeful83 likes this.
  4. Hopeful83

Hopeful83 New Member

Thanks Mike and Walt!