1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Is knowledge always enough?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Everly, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Everly

Everly Peer Supporter

I know I have TMS 100% I have no confusion over how it causes symptoms, I have read couple TMS books, looked up further scientific proof, I have a list of ''proof''' that that is what I have, I fit the personality type, I have constant, I mean daily even hourly SI. I know I have TMS. But its still here, I have ''goodish'' days and I feel empowered, but so far it always comes back and often in a very severe and debilitating way. It doesn't shake my belief in TMS though, its just...well frustrating and still scary cause the symptoms can leave me bedridden for couple days. And I see a lot of advice of how you have to believe it and you will be cured. Maybe Im not feeling on gut level? I think I do though...

Any ideas?I don't know maybe Im just venting,

Also, Ive done a lot of journalling of course. My diagnosis is fibromyalgia aka TMS.

2. Everly

Everly Peer Supporter

Do I just chill and wait? Probably :rolleyes:

3. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

Knowledge is not always enough, it takes a much deeper acceptance down to the heart level. Remember that acceptance at the conscious level is also not enough. Jung said that the conscience mind can be trained like a parrot, so in the case of TMS just reading more often doesn't work until the unconscious accepts it--post information. The deeper self has to feel safe enough to let go. Fibro is certainly TMS.

Yinlin, Forest and Everly like this.
  4. Everly

Everly Peer Supporter

Thank you for the reply, SteveO, its cool to hear your insight as your book has inspired me a lot! If you have the chance perhaps you could comment on how to connect with deeper self and communicate the safety and acceptance message? It a weird feeling - my mind is calm, but I know that the inner child if you will must not be happy because I have pain all over or fatigue. To be fair, Im hoping and position myself as already healed, just my body needs some time to readjust and stop the danger signals. But then I get a little bit worried that it will not be enough and i should keep digging for emotions. So should I chill or keep digging?

5. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Stop digging, (psycho-archeology), and start doing! You need to build up your confidence that your body is not fragile--confidence builds on success--the more you do the better you will feel.

What are you capable of doing now? What would you like to be doing?

g'luck!
    tt

Everly likes this.
  6. Everly

Everly Peer Supporter

Thank you for the reply. This is also an issue for me - whenever I feel well I do a lot, ride my bike, exercise, meet friends, plan my life, am positive, feel emotionally great and sure that I am almost healed. But THEN comes really bad days, when I really physically cant do anything due to pain and fatigue, dizziness. This cycle leaves me confused if I am approaching my TMS right.

7. Tennis Tom

Be grateful that you can do so much on your good days! Fibro is an advanced state of TMS, I'm happy to hear you are doing so much! Internet message boards have their limitations, we can't really give advice on what you can and can't do knowing so little of the particulars of your life and functionality. You could supply more info that would help. When you are having a "bad" day you could have activities planned for them that give you pleasure for positive distractions and feeling of accomplishment--it's like doing stuff when you wake up in the middle of the night and looking forward to those hours rather ruminating at the ceiling feeling you have insomnia. What can you do on your "bad" days to even look forward to them to accomplish activities that make you feel good about yourself. Do you have a TMS practitioner or therapist who you work with? Maybe a life coach could give you a positive direction to go in.

8. Everly

Everly Peer Supporter

Thank you for the response. I know its great that I can have these good days, however, I get used to not being in pain so fast it comes as a shock when symptoms return. Its a bit crazy really, the extreme swings in TMS. I could have a good day with couple twinges here and there, I apply my TMS methods and they go away and Im like Yas, Im in control, life is wonderful and the next day Im having all over pain, hives and fatigue and apply my methods and its still there and I appreciate your advice but when I have my whole body burning pain no activities will give me pleasure, I cant focus enough to watch TV, its hellish.

Its weird, like Im not in sync with my body, cause even though sometimes I can identify a trigger for pain, more often than not I feel emotionally calm but have a lot of pain, or explore my feeligs all day but still have pain. I am hoping that the reason so far why I have flare ups is because when I have them for more than 3 days I start to worry and freak out and that might be feeding TMS. I think if I can float through the flare ups they should go away with time, Im trying to do it lately, after doing Alans program. About my functionality, its a year now since I left my studies and job (hung in there for a year with increasingn TMS but then it got really bad) and now living with parents which of course feels like a personal failure and just a bad dream, cant believe its been a year, time flies when you are in pain apparently. Im doing small translation jobs from home now, which is a great development! Anyways, this is really long, thank you for listening. So far I didnt want to ask my parents money for a therapist, but Ive talked to them and I will have couple sessions with Pain Psychology Center. I suppose its time to admit, that I do need help.

9. Everly

Everly Peer Supporter

Omg, that is so long:facepalm:

10. Tennis Tom

It was NOT long, you're a good writer! That info helps to see the bigger picture. Is the Pain Psychology Center a TMS aware place? If not, I would recommend a TMS practitioner/counselor/therapist. There are so few on the planet that REALLY understand TMS, you'd get more bang for your limited bucks to consult with someone who knows TMS, or you may be spending your limited funds on educating them. There's a list of TMS PRACTITIONERS at the HOME page sidebar here by state and countries. It's been found that phone and skyping can be as effective as in person. SteveO also does TMS counseling and he wrote one of the best book on it. Once again, your post was NOT too long, how does one sum up perhaps a lifetime in a paragraph or two.

Everly and Eugene like this.
  11. Everly

Everly Peer Supporter

Thank you, TennisTom, you are kind And Pain Psychology center is directed by Alan Gordon and affiliated with Howard Schubiner they know all about TMS. Definitely know what you mean, I saw a regular psychologist couple months ago and had to teach her about TMS and she was very wary. Thank you, youve been very helpful. I hope you yourself are well!!

12. Tennis Tom

Excellent choice then, you're on your way to a better life!

Everly likes this.