1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Is depression a symptom

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by allinthemind, Feb 20, 2016.

1. allinthemind

allinthemind Peer Supporter

So been reading a lot and thinking a lot, it's half term for me (secondary school teacher) at the mo so got a bit of time to reflect, that's when my 2 year old isn't causing me to rage.

I don't feel as tho I am as focused on my neck pain as I had been. The pain is still there but I feel a bit different about myself. I feel a bit depressed actually and was wondering if this is the repressed emotions making their way out to my conscious.

I've found the time off from school very beneficial in my healing and am thinking of taking more time off in the next academic year. After all could it be teaching that is contributing to my TMS, it can be very demanding, especially when you don't sleep well and your immune system is weak all the time. Is it good to take time off from the norm or should I stick to routine and plough thru.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, allinthemind. I know several teachers and they are always stressed from the work and dealing with not only students but the school administrators.
    Do you feel better on days off from work or on summer vacations? If so, then it must mean your pain comes from work and the emotional stress is gives you. Feeling depressed is definitely a symptom of TMS.

Many people use a combination of treatments, such as medication and psychotherapy. For depression that doesn't respond to standard treatment, non-drug approaches can be effective, either alone or used with other treatments.

Learn more here about the most common approaches to treating depression, with or without seeing a therapist.

Cognitive behavioral therapy helps you see how behaviors and the way you think about things plays a role in your depression. Your therapist will help you change some of these unhealthy patterns.

Interpersonal therapy
    focuses on your relationships with other people and how they affect you. Your therapist will also help you pinpoint and change unhealthy habits.
    Problem-solving therapy
    focuses on the specific problems you face and helps you find solutions.

There are prescription medications for depression and many natural ways of dealing with it. Do a Google search for them.

And there are excellent videos on Youtube about treating depression.

3. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Hello and welcome, alinthemind.
    Depression is definitely a component of TMs, and walks hand in hand with chronic pain as well. Listing my gratefuls often brings me out of a funk-- even if the only thing i'm grateful for that day is the ability to tie my own shoes!
    I'm a teacher as well. I usually love what I do, but it is an extremely high stress job. I tend to get frustrated by paperwork and administrators, but love my interactions with the kids. On Friday I received a heartfelt letter from a student that made me feel like Christmas and my birthday had come at once.
    When the turkeys get me down, I walk, swim, hike, or relax with a great book or a craft. Do you practice ways to unwind? I find it takes conscious effort.
    Have you started the Structured Education Program on this wiki? It helped me to banish ferocious pain, and also introduced me to some great resources.
    Blessings to you.

AC45 and breakfree like this.
  4. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Depression is an affective/emotional TMS symptom. If work's a drag due to others, definitely take time off if you can, to do things that make you feel good and get you off the battlefield of life.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  5. allinthemind

allinthemind Peer Supporter

Thx all for your responses, have read and re- read them all.
    I'm hoping time off will just help me figure out dealing with my emotions without any distractions and I really hope teaching is not a cause to it all, as I really do enjoy it.
    Only really had several days feeling depression and coincidently the pain has eased a bit which make me think I am moving in the right direction, I do try and think of positive things in life particularly at bed time, I am grateful for my body and spirit and all the luxury things I have in life, shelter, warmth, good job etc.
    I am due to have my first appointment with a TMS therapist in March so I'm sure we will talk about all the therapists.

Thx again Tom, Gigi and Walt. Always great advice.

AC45 and Tennis Tom like this.
  6. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Your welcome! You sound like you've got your head in the right TMS place. If you care to let us know your thoughts on how things go with your TMS therapist. In my parts most therapists are "paid for buddies". I've encountered many socially and not one has ever heard of Dr. Sarno, which seems amazing, but probably not.

G'luck!
    tt

7. Ftaghn!

Ftaghn! Peer Supporter

In the medical literature, chronic pain and depression go hand in hand. They're complementary and reinforcing. But it also means you can't really treat long term pain without treating depression/anxiety/etc. Look up Noah Elkrief on YouTube, he has hour-long videos on ways to get relief from depression. They helped me immensely.

In my personal experience, the same mechanisms that work to cause anxiety/depression also work to amplify pains of all sorts.

8. AC45

AC45 Well known member

I enjoyed reading your response here. TMS recovery isn't a straight line. Thanks for your practical ideas.