1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Insensitivity to pain meds?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by hawaii_five0, Mar 16, 2021.

1. hawaii_five0

hawaii_five0 Well known member

I am somewhat new to the TMS world. I absolutely agree that x % of a person's pain and discomfort can be caused by mind/body interaction, and probably no one would disagree with that. In my case I don't think x is 100%, but it's still probably a pretty high number. I have a structural issue in my lower back/pelvis/SI joint (there is literally an audible clicking/grinding noise and sensation). Have been to several docs, had an MRI, been to PT, continue to go. But the pain increases basically in correlation with the amount I stress about it (4 months ago it was painless, was only after researching it endlessly that it became painful). I tried to limit any meds, and take OTC only, and even that just sparingly, but last week the doc said go ahead and take 2 Aleve every day to potentially bring down inflammation. So I have done that for a week, but that has had exactly zero effect on the discomfort. I'm wondering if this apparent insensitivity to OTC pain meds is more a sign that it is basically my brain generating the pain. Wondering if anyone else has had this experience in their journey, basically pain meds not working. At least OTC.

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I think I've mentioned before that I too had the audible clicking sound in my back that convinced me my back pain was structural. What I have found is that while the clicking may be caused by a structural problem, it was not the source of pain or dysfunction. My back pain went away when I treated it as TMS. The clicking sound remained until after regularly doing a daily exercise program for a time. I think that doing the plank for 1 minute a day is what caused the clicking sound to leave, perhaps by strengthening the muscles around the area. So I think the saying "correlation is not causation" was true in my case.

hawaii_five0 likes this.
  3. Teatimetraveller

Teatimetraveller New Member

I have several parts of my body that crack and grind and have done for years. Its just part of me and cause me zero pain or discomfort. Maybe the cause of the pain is elsewhere for you, Hawaii?

hawaii_five0 likes this.
  4. hawaii_five0

hawaii_five0 Well known member

Yes I posted this more than a year ago, and the symptoms have changed quite a bit over that time, the "clicking, instability" feeling has basically gone now, and the pain symptoms have moved too (classic TMS). My original post was about the pain meds, and that has been a journey too. I'll write a longer post about that at some point. Basically I have stopped taking medication, and feel better now than when I was taking them.

Ellen likes this.
  5. Teatimetraveller

Teatimetraveller New Member

Hawaii... Oh yeah didn't spot the date. Glad things are improving. I'm in the process of backing away from meds. It'd be good to hear your experiences.