1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Im sad

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by JDinPhilly, Feb 25, 2018.

1. JDinPhilly

JDinPhilly New Member

Hey Everyone,
    I found out about TMS one week ago. The experience of living with chronic pain for 7+ years has been torture. I work in healthcare so I live by the 0-10 scale of pain. On a good day, its a 2.. on a bad day its a 10 and Im being carried out of my house by EMS. I spent lots of time in the 5-6 zone and that lead to more than a few medrol dose packs (steroids). There is a box in my bedroom with standby medications (valium, percocet, flexeryl, steroids, tylenol, alieve, sleeping meds etc.). This was the alternative to going to the hospital whenever my back pain flared up. This is how I have been living for the last few years.

Fast forward to last sunday. A college friend told me about Dr. Sarno's book. Long story short, I read the book and my pain vanished! Who is this magic wizard with healing words? I am sold! This doctor (was) on to something great.

Some weird things started happening thought. When things would get stressful (good or bad stress) my hands go numb. I get pain in my forearms.

Today, I went ice skating. My back is hurting. How did I mess this up so quickly? I'm depressed. I took alieve.

Advice?

2. iwire

iwire Peer Supporter

3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi JDinPhilly,
    Your experience is wonderful! And strange symptoms, new symptoms or return of old symptoms is normal. Symptom imperative. Your quick relief makes you a true believer, this was an "initiation." Now perhaps dig into this work a little every day, knowing there is nothing wrong with you. Knowing there is nothing wrong needs to be remembered time and time again. You are on the path, and you will never know your pain in the same way. Bravo!!
    Andy B

4. JDinPhilly

JDinPhilly New Member

Thanks to Andy B and iWire. Its nice to know that someone has been down this path (Dont get me wrong, I love my family, but I suspect that they think I am nuts on this one). Today I journaled.. I journaled a lot! I have no idea what I am doing (is there a right way to do that?) So far, its a list or two about stressors and some diary type writing. Im going to see Dr. Rashbaum in a few weeks. Im excited and worried. Hopefully he can answer my questions, maybe even validate that I have this.. and well.. set me on a path to success.

Anyway, thanks to all for now. I do appreciate the responses and suggestions.

JanAtheCPA likes this.