1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 I'm new.

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Kathi, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Kathi

Kathi Peer Supporter

I've had "fibromyalgia"/chronic pain for over 20 years. I used to play tennis and run, but gradually had to let go of those and even had to quit walking and exercise classes. I'm cautiously excited about this program. I read the Ozanich book, went thru MBSR program years ago, recently read Loving What Is by Byron Katie, and meditate daily. I've seen an internist, a pain management Doctor, and a rheumatologist. It's easy to believe this is a psychological issue, since tests show nothing physically wrong, so that's an advantage. I'm very happy that your web site and program are free for the taking. I think I fit the personality profile for this quite nicely. I'm wondering what book would be best for me to read next? Thanks for any and all help or suggestions.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  2. Ryan

Ryan Well known member

Welcome aboard, start doing the SEP and take your time. Books I would suggest are "Healing Back Pain", "Mindbody Prescription", and "God Does Not Want You to be in Pain". I would also recommend "Hope and Help for your Nerves" if you struggle with anxiety. Just take your time and trust in yourself. It will be a tough road but well worth the reward. Keep asking questions if you are struggling and need help, they have many people on this site with a great amount of knowledge. Wishing you the best of luck.

Ryan

3. jessedas

jessedas Peer Supporter

Welcome Kathi!
    I was first introduced to these concepts through John Sarno's The Mindbody Prescription book..which I recommend. I also read Healing Back Pain, and am currently reading Steve's book. I remember, a couple years ago, I had severe back pain during college finals. I went to the doctor and he was very worried. He recommended that I get bed rest for a week and take it easy, along with medication. I was in the middle of my senior year, with finals for the dream school of my life. Needless to say, I didn't listen to him about the bed rest, toughed it out and sat in severe pain at the computer desk as I continued to work for hours on end to get things done. My back pain, sciatica...all but a memory now since reading this stuff and accepting it as my truth. And I didn't hurt myself by sitting. I still am working on other areas of my body that the triggers have moved to, but continuing to improve greatly. I think I would have healed much faster had I taken it more seriously to begin with. Now I'm back, doing my journal writings, and the educational program here.

My new way of thinking; if you're going to go down a path, go fully, 100%, without distractions or a pile of remedies, so that you can truly judge the effectiveness of it and give it the chance it deserves to work for you or not.

Wishing you all the best,
    Jesse

4. Kathi

Kathi Peer Supporter

Jesse and Ryan,
    Thanks for your support and encouragement. I'm now reading Sarno's Healing Back Pain and focusing solely on the program. Very hopeful, and happy I'm not in this alone.

Marian likes this.
  5. Kathi

Kathi Peer Supporter

Would you recommend purchasing the 2 hour DVD of Dr. Sarno's lecture for $89? That seems to be the only way I can access it?

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle