1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

I...jogged

Discussion in 'Success Stories Subforum' started by tmann1009, Feb 2, 2016.

1. tmann1009

tmann1009 New Member

wow I feel so liberated! I haven't done anything more than walking fast since April when I herniated my back and the doctors and neurosurgeon told me to forget about running!

It was only 30 seconds and it was a log but wow I got over that fear!!! I kept telling myself to do it but my brain kept holding me back. Wow. I am stronger than my brain and all the fears my doctors have instilled in me

JayB, Hen, Ellen and 1 other person like this.
  2. tmann1009

tmann1009 New Member

Something crazy happened yesterday. I woke up yesterday morning (after my 30 second jog the night before) and I started feeling sick, sore throat. I jogged for 1 minute last night and woke up more sick, sore throat and a cold.

I finally came over the fear of running and my body decided to get sick?

I wonder if anyone can add to this, does it relate to TMS? Getting over my fear?

3. intense50

intense50 Well known member

Look at it differently. You finally got the nerve to kiss the girl even though she slapped you and said no.
    You got your brain's attention and you stole it's spotlight. Keep at it comfortably.

4. fbcoach

fbcoach Peer Supporter

Hi,
    I just began my journey here. It's funny, on the outside looking in (at your issue with jogging), it seems so simple to see that YES, your mind is definitely at play. You overcame your fear and jogged. Unconsciously, your mind played a dirty trick on you for taking a chance and is now punishing you. It's just a mind game.

I say this, because my mind just played the same trick on me. I gave up tramadol (1 in the morning: 1 in the afternoon) a few days ago. I haven't had anymore pain than usual. I just read a post here in another section, about someone doing the same thing, and that they were in serious pain. Guess what? I started feeling more pain. I associated this withdrawal symptom from another experience I had years ago when I withdrew (cold turkey) from 500mgs/day of morphine and Lyrica (I don't recommend that) it was 4 weeks of pure hell. Why 4 weeks exactly? That's all the time I could afford before I HAD to start getting my Football Team ready for the season. See how our minds work?

Keep doing a little more each time. Every time you overcome your fear, you are showing your mind who is in charge. You will have setbacks, but you will win out for sure. I am in the process of increasing my exercise and physical activities, as well. I have decided to push thru and keep pushing for the recommended 6 weeks. Then, I can assess how this program is working.

I hope you don't mind me giving unsolicited advice. This seems to help me overcome my own fears.
    Take care, you will find your solutions.

JayB and Boston Redsox like this.
  5. tmann1009

tmann1009 New Member

Not at all! I appreciate your outlook and your point about my mind playing a dirty trick makes so much sense!
    Everyday I'm going to continue conquering my fears and pushing myself. Mind over body.

intense50 likes this.
  6. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

This is a very important breakthrough. I am so happy for you tmann. It does not take very many exceptions, and the mind-body begins to understand that you understand TMS. You're on your way!

7. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

THAT WAS I WHO GAVE UP THE MEDS …AND SAID FU TO TMS

8. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Woohoo! Here's to success! Congrats tmann, fb coach, and Redsox!
    I often tell kids at school that their brains are the most critical tool they have. Imagine if we could harness even 1/10 of its power!!

Boston Redsox likes this.
  9. fbcoach

fbcoach Peer Supporter

I'm a Teacher, as well. I am constantly reminding my students and players how strong the mind can be. I am a firm believer in that, and I think I consistently tell them this to reinforce my own belief.