1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

I hope this is evidence I could have TMS

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by tgirl, Dec 8, 2015.

1. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

I experience the prickly burning feeling on my leg skin during the day. But once I lie down in bed at night and begin to read it seems to dissipate. If I wake up in the middle the night I don't feel it at all. Once I get up the next day and start moving around it starts all over again. So I am wondering, why would I feel almost totally normal in bed.

Also, once my family doctor said he thought my prickly sensations and adrenaline-like chest surges were possibly psychological for the following reason. He said I have been in and out of his office over the years with odd symptoms such as light headedness for months on end and once that went away I experienced an irritated bladder that would go away, and I think there were other examples..... He said these symptoms just resolved themselves and medical testing never showed anything. Of course lately he doesn't know what to say to me because these awful sensations have gone on for so long... I don't even mention them to him anymore. My nerve endings are overly sensitive. It can go away anytime now.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, tgirl. Your doctor has not been able to find anything structurally wrong with you and even has said he thinks your symptoms are psychological, so I would consider that they are TMS.

Have to done thee Structured Educational Program to discover the emotional causes of your symptoms? It was a great help to me in healing from severe back pain, and helped heal many others. You may not feel pain when asleep but when you awaken and start your day, the emotional causes of the pain return. Do some journaling in the SEP to discover those repressed emotions.

JanAtheCPA, Boston Redsox and tgirl like this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I agree with Walt. When you do the SEP and are asked to start making your lists, be totally honest about writing down everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) that comes into your head. Your brain will try to tell you that you shouldn't write certain things down, but you have to fight that and write them down anyway. If you are completely honest, you will figure out what it is about getting up each day that you don't want to face.

Sounds like you had a good doctor, by the way! There are still some out there, who recognize the transient nature of our symptoms as being purely psychological. Someday the medical profession will be willing to put a name to it. Practitioners have to figure out what that name is, however. TMS doesn't really cover the wide variety of symptoms that the brain can employ to distract us. PPD or MBS are more likely.

tgirl likes this.
  4. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

Jan and Walt, thank you for you posts. I guess the horror I feel about the possibility that I might be stuck feeling this prickly pain forever is quite depressing. I have been slowly working SEP but I should probably be more vigilant. Encouraging posts, like the ones I have received on this site are really helpful.

5. David88

David88 Well known member

Hi tgirl,

I've had prickly skin, lightheadedness, irritated bladder, and tightness in the chest, all of which turned out to be TMS. You won't be stuck with them if you keep working to uncover your repressed feelings.

Be patient, though, because it takes time and hard work, especially when there are multiple symptoms that go back years. Different techniques work for different people. You may have some trial and error before you find the path that works for you.

The doubts that you are having -- is it truly TMS? will I ever be cured? -- are part of your healing process. Doubt, trickily enough, is another TMS equivalent. It's a distraction, just like pain. It keeps your attention away from the repressed feelings.

You're on the right path. Stick to it.

David.

JanAtheCPA and tgirl like this.
  6. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

David, thanks for your reply. To hear that your symptoms were similar to mine and are now gone gives me hope.

Debbie

JanAtheCPA likes this.