1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

I’m left wondering - unique maybe

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by starseed, Oct 18, 2018.

1. starseed

starseed Peer Supporter

It’s funny that I’m hoping I have TMS.... I’ve just quickly read Dr Sarno’s book which some kind person added to the files in a FB group.

I’ve read that “the brain can influence any organ or system in the body”. I’ve yet to come across anyone on here that has similar symptoms to mine some of which scare me. Bearing in mind I’ve had a MRI of my lumbar spine and X-ray which were done in the last 2 weeks. I saw a neurosurgeon and he assured me and my husband that there was nothing found on my mri of any significance (apart from osteoporosis) - when I became concerned about Cauda equine syndrome he called my husband to assure us that it was not! My symptoms continue... he told me that my problems were ‘muscular’. This particular doctor has a string of qualifications to his name which should reassure me.

I was in a car recently which braked - I posted about this on another thread. I was thrown forward a bit then back, seat belt on. I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease (L5) 6 years ago and after the incident I felt that I was having a flare up of previous symptoms... pain and inflammation. That led me to seeing the doctor after strange symptoms presented..

Here are my symptoms since the incident

Lower back pain
    Intermittent inflammation
    Coccyx pain
    Pain in mid back (shifting) to
    Pain in upper
    Strange pins & needles, numb type feeling in buttocks on sitting
    Tight Piriformis both sides - query sciatic nerve involvement
    Cramping in hamstring (mild)
    Electric shock type sensation in soles of feet on standing out of bed in morning
    Reduced sensation from waist to below buttocks, feels like a slight numbness
    Reduced sensation in anal area on defacation
    Mild weakness in legs on walking
    Reduced sensation in scalp, I feel like I’ve got mild Paresthesia all over!
    Burning tongue
    Some Muscle twitches at night - intermittent

I have a LOT of unresolved anger from my child hood and I’ve been pretty anxious, over reactions to things over past few years, I’m hyper vigilant and I have a lot of fear, mostly of just general everyday things, I over think things.

I’m currently going out on gentle walks daily for about half an hour. I have to say that since the incident I’ve held onto some strong emotions, resentment, why me, bad timing, anger and I’ve been totally wrapped up in the incident and the symptoms.

Since this highly qualified neurosurgeon has ruled out anything ‘nerve’.... I’m left wondering why these symptoms. We went back to see him a second time and he showed us the mri results on screen via the imaging and the written version... he wasn’t hiding anything, we are in Turkey so communication was slightly but not too difficult. He is aware of most of those symptoms, I ended up with a few medicines including an opiate based pain killer.

I’ve read that symptoms, pains can be constant and also intermittent. I haven’t any access to a TMS physician here in Turkey.

2. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Starseed,

I'm not sure about anyone with the same symptoms, but I think you would benefit from reading Caulfield's posts. He is a young man who has had many similar symptoms, but I think the most important help is how worried he was about them, and now he really gets the mystery that is TMS. The process of his progression is told in his success story, but he has been helping others for a short while, these posts are very good.

Lizzy

Sofa, starseed and MWsunin12 like this.
  3. MWsunin12

MWsunin12 Beloved Grand Eagle

There are many people who have visited or posted on this forum who have many or at least some of your symptoms.
    I would guess that the car incident caused your nervous system to become over-active. Those incidents make adrenaline run through your system.
    I actually think a self-soothing mantra or saying would help you.
    It has helped me. I put my hand over my own heart and say out loud, "I am safe. I am safe. Every day and in every way I am getting better and better."

I totally understand how you can get overwhelmed by symptoms. But, I feel that you already know it's TMS. So now it's a matter of letting your nervous system know that it's safe and doesn't need to overreact.

One way Sarno is so reassuring is his insistence that the body knows how to return to normal. It knows how to heal. That's why his advice is to do a few things every day that create fun or joy so that your nervous system can relax.

You can do this. Step away from keeping track of your symptoms. Don't look for them to happen everyday. You are alive and well.

Try the mantra.

best wishes

BloodMoon, starseed and Lizzy like this.
  4. starseed

starseed Peer Supporter

The mind is so powerful it’s hard to grasp that it can throw out so many symptoms Lizzy. I’m very new to the TMS concept and have devoured every bit of information I’ve seen. I’ve been symptomatic since the car incident 2 months ago. Yes I will look at Caulfield’s posts - thanks!

Thanks MWsunin12 for your take on things and encouragement. Very grateful to have other people’s input.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    MWsunin12 likes this.
  5. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

Go to the main TMSWiki site and find the Structured Educational Programme - work your way through it and all will become clear. Good luck

starseed likes this.
  6. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi @starseed,

Over the years I've experienced all of those symptoms you list (and more) - except a burning tongue...but I did have a burning gum after a tooth extraction, which lasted a total of just over 2 years before eventually disappearing on its own.

I read Dr Sarno's books 20 years ago but, as I didn't get any improvement in my symptoms after reading them, I didn't believe that my problem was TMS...

Dr Sarno talked of mild oxygen deprivation causing TMS pain and other symptoms, which I found hard to comprehend and believe because my pain can often be excruciating - even though Dr Sarno did say that TMS pain can be extremely intense and extraordinarily painful...

So, it wasn't until last year when I read Dr James Alexander's book 'The Hidden Psychology of Pain' https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hidden-Psychology-Pain-Understanding-Chronic/dp/1452506809 that I really started to believe that in TMS the brain causes lack of oxygen by reducing blood flow to the muscles, tendons and nerves to create symptoms - as Dr Alexander gives imo the best explanation in his book that I've ever read about it (backed up by some research evidence)...plus he says that the reduced oxygen supply to the muscles can also sometimes result in tiny - or sometimes big - muscle tears, which can make the symptoms worse/more painful...This, to me, explained so many of my symptoms and clinched my belief that I've been suffering from TMS all along.

I've been doing mind/body work for many months now and am only just noticing some improvement...You might see signs of improvement more quickly though. My advice is to keep going and do mind/body work - don't give up (certainly, don't leave it for over 20 years like I did before doing the mind/body/TMS work).

Good luck and all good wishes.

BloodMoon

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    HattieNC, hecate105 and starseed like this.
  7. starseed

starseed Peer Supporter

Hi @BloodMoon

Good to hear from someone who has had similar symptoms. I’ve never experienced anything so strange in all my life but there’s been a lot of emotional stuff going on! Thanks for your input. Will see if I can get the book you recommend

BloodMoon likes this.
  8. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

I know just how scary and baffling it can feel. I too have had a lot of emotional stuff going on over the years...my job was a big stressor plus anger and issues from my childhood have had a huge bearing...

I think anything we can do to calm our nervous system down is beneficial. I do yoga nidra (there are YouTube videos about this particular form of meditation) and some qigong every day - and following the tips that ACE1 gave for recovery has been enlightening and helpful to me too. 'Checking-in' with myself regularly throughout the day to ask myself 'how am I being, right now?' as he suggests, has proved to me just how (unconsciously and habitually) tense I am in my body. You might discover that it is the same for you. ACE1's tips can be found here here http://tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7664 (TMSHelp Forum - Recovery story with keys to recovery at the end). When/if you find that you are tense, perhaps try saying to yourself 'let go, let go, let go, let go' or 'release, release, release, release' and, if you're anything like me, you'll feel your muscles gradually release and relax (it's something that I picked up from reading 'How to Stop Worrying and Start Living' by Dale Carnegie).

I haven't done the SEP programme, but I think it would be a good place to start - as even just reading through it (which I have done) gives you more of an idea of what the brain does to trick you into believing that symptoms are physical.

Should none of the suggestions I've made be of help to you - do still keep reading about TMS, to include reading posts on this forum, until something someone says or suggests 'hits the spot' for you personally.

All the best.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    starseed and Lizzy like this.
  9. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Starseed,

Car accidents are a perfect set up for TMS. They are stressful, scary and out of our control. The flood of stress chemicals can start a river of them that lasts and lasts. Claire Weekes books talk about how to calm the chemicals down. While she is specific to nervous system type symptoms, her advice about fear is spot on for me and many others here on the wiki. Her work transfers to pain very well. Good luck, Lizzy