1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Hidden Emotions??

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Nate, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Nate

Nate Peer Supporter

Hi all I am currently struggling to fill out anymore stressors on my lists in the program. I did come across a few biggies and it helped alot to finally start to work through them but now i am just like i honestly cant think of anything in the past etc that really caused me any worry? Could there be no more and its just the fear of the pain perpetuating the TMS? To me thats what i feel is the most part of my problem constantly thinking about the pain. Would be great if someone could answer this for me. Thanks everyone :)

2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

ABSOLUTELY, fearing the pain perpetuates TMS. For me, the fear of the pain was often worse than the pain itself. The important thing is, I did overcome my fear, by learning as much as I could about TMS. I think you are taking the right steps towards recovery as well :)

Going forward: Dr. Sarno mentions three different sources of unconscious rage and other emotions fueling TMS. One is childhood. Another is current stress, reactions to whatever pressures you have in your life now. The third source is from “self-imposed pressure.” It seems to me you’ve identified some large stressors from your past, and working through those has been helpful. It could be some of the stressors still fueling your TMS are from the other two sources, not necessarily from your past. In fact, sometimes the self-imposed pressure of working on TMS can be a significant factor in perpetuating TMS. I did a video blog about this called Can you work too hard at overcoming TMS. This is why I think that the advice to recognize that you are perfectly healthy and just focus on loving your life is so good.

One thing to remember, though, is you don’t necessarily have to figure out where everything is coming from. Sarno is pretty clear about that. Sometimes working so hard on determining the source of our pain can be counterproductive, in that it can make us focus on the pain even more. There’s a reason there are “days off” built into the Structured Educational Program! Remember to at least give yourself some moments, if not a day or two “off.” Try to do something relaxing, something fun. Just experiencing positive & soothing emotions can really help. The advice Steve Ozanich has been giving is “happiness first, and health will follow.” There’s a lot of wisdom, and truth in that. I think it’s pretty great advice :)

3. Stock Trader

Stock Trader Peer Supporter

This is the TRUE advice I quickly put in practice in my daily life along with mindfulness practice. I have learned that by trying to heal from TMS is equivalent to TMS, it is a distraction itself. If you try to heal you prolong healing. As soon as I stopped journaling and looking for the underlying emotion for my symptoms, I shifted my daily life by looking for happiness, then my recovery was speeding up as never before. I just tell my self that "my symptoms are only an alarm (beep beep) of my repressed emotions and I move on with my life. TMS tells you that you're not heading where you want to, that there's something you want to say or do. It's a message we need to listen. Deep inside you don't want to be where you are.

4. Lori

Lori Well known member

While I do believe journaling is key to long-term healing (this processes out of us what has been stored up for years), perhaps look at the issues you have already listed and continue to work through them.

In the future other memories may surface on their own and you can address them to heal them at that time.

Remember to end writing sessions with a positive statement!