1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Here I go

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by KatieDid123, Apr 17, 2016.

1. KatieDid123

KatieDid123 Peer Supporter

I've known about TMS since May of 2014 and got checked by Dr. Schechter, who told me I was a clear-cut TMS case, in July 2014. I've lingered around these forums, occasionally posting. Between July 2014 and now I have "dabbled" in TMS (which I realize you can't do), but have never fully committed. I'm one of those people who believes that TMS exists and that people heal from it, and have researched/read a TON about TMS, but am very hesitant and fearful when it comes to my particular case. Classic case of "That's awesome you healed with TMS, but no no, that's not me." Denial, distraction, and fear. I would get all gung-ho about TMS and think "This is it! I'm going to do it this time!" only to get discouraged when I didn't notice quick results or when the pain shot up during activity. I was also always cheating on TMS with another doctor...I would be trying to do the TMS work, admittedly half-heartedly, but I would still be seeing a chiropractor or an osteopath or a dude who claimed to suck the negative emotions out of my body (yeah, that happened).

I'm recommitting to this process, except I'm going all in this time. I've started TMS counseling with Kristin at the Pain Psychology Center. I'm slowly ditching all of "physical" treatment sources. Already kicked one chiro to the curb. He told me that "I stressed him out" so I don't think he'll miss me too much. I'm currently seeing another chiro for my neck (which isn't even my problem area), so that's to be stopped as well. Foot and glute pain are my main issues. I'm also following a strict eating and supplement protocol designed by a self-proclaimed Medical Medium. This is my biggest worry at this point. I spent a boatload of money to talk to this guru-like psychic medium who claims that he can pinpoint exactly what is wrong with a person health-wise and give an exact plan of what they must to do heal. Think Edgar Cayce. This guy has a wait list of 15K people and a slew of success stories under his belt. He told me I have a couple of viruses in my body causing havoc and causing the pain, fatigue, etc. The eating and supplement protocol aims to kill the viruses and he said it could take upwards of a year. I know I need to ditch this whole protocol because it keeps me VERY much focused on my body. Due to the strictness of the eating protocol, I've also developed disordered eating that can best be labeled as orthorexia (aka an obsession with eating only healthy foods and a fear of unhealthy foods). I'm really starting to think that the success of this medium is largely due to placebo. Someone who claims they can solve all your problems will instill great hope in people.

Anyway, I could write a short novel about my journey so far, but this is a good starting point. I'm looking forward to getting my life back once and for all after 3 years of pain and isolation.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    Janine28 likes this.
  2. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Here's to new beginnings, Katie! It takes a lot of courage to stop what you're doing and reverse course. Kudos to you!
    Yes, I think that TMS persists until you accept the diagnosis 100%. Even then, I found that my subC was very devious and cunning. You might try working the SEP. I'm really grateful that I completed it, for it forced me to read a number of types of TMS literature, and try a myriad of different tools.
    You go, girl. We're all rooting for you.

KatieDid123 likes this.
  3. KatieDid123

Thank you Gigi! I'm going to do the SEP for sure this time around. I really appreciate your advice and encouragement!

4. Sean

Sean New Member

K...good luck with it...it does help

KatieDid123 likes this.
  5. KatieDid123

Thanks Sean! Good luck to you too :)