1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1 Hello - new starter

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by CFSUKguyhai, May 12, 2022.

1. CFSUKguyhai

CFSUKguyhai Newcomer

Hi All

I've had CFS for 18 years now. I can hardly believe I'm saying that. I got ill during my first job after graduating from University. I had had sleep issues from a young age, but otherwise had been ok health-wise. Then over about 6 months of a stressful job, and relationship combined with sleep issues I started to experience persistant fatigue like I had never felt before. I thought that taking some time off work would help, but it didn't. If anything it got worse. Then it just never got better, and I went through some very difficult periods as bad as having to lie in a dark room for most of the day.

Currently I live a sort of half in life. I can do some normal stuff but I have a much reduced window of activity, so a lot of rest breaks. I also have a bad sleep pattern where I get to sleep around 4am and wake around 12-1pm. I can do small amounts of part time work.

Around 2007/8 I was told about John Sarno's work, and I read 'Healing Back Pain'. I was always interested in these theories but at the time it felt a bit vague. I recently was recommended Curable, and have now found an industry built upon his ideas. It seems more robust now and I am giving it a good go to see how far I can get.

I haven't formally had a PPD/TMS diagnosis so I will make it now. I have TMS. The symptoms I have are created by my brain as a defense mechanism.

The level I feel like I can accept that is about 50%. My problem is that I have off days and sink into the symptoms which feel so real - and forget all the TMS stuff. I hope that following this course can help guide me to maintaining focus.

My worries are of course that it won't work. I think I am putting pressure on myself because I desperately want to get better, so if I feel some improvement, I feel like I have to capitalise on it NOW otherwise it may not work. Or the sacred piece of information that created an improvement will wear off, and I'll be left as usual in the same old state.

Probably not helpful...

Some notes I made on the video:

"Has something terrible happened to the American back" to explain the 14x higher instance of back pain? lol

It redirects your attention, instead of dealing with the pain - it distracts your mind from the real issue.

With one lecture Sarno cured me from 20 years of back pain

Lovely to see Sarno in action

Tendency to push ourselves makes us mad inside

"Somehow the knowledge has great therapeutic power" - this somehow seems to be what is now better understood.

Let's see what tomorrow brings...

2. ChrisinCheshire

ChrisinCheshire Newcomer

Hi,

Your story sounds so similar to mine. Same with me, about 6 months into my first grad job I got ill and never really recovered. I stumbled along for 4 years and then just couldn’t do it any more

My health has settled at moderate, sometimes able to work part time, booms (where I always naively think I’m cured) and the ensuing bust. That’s 20 years wasted.

I’ve done Lighting Process and ANS rewire with some success. In fact enough of a change to make me believe that there is an unhelpful neurological process going on that is not helping

I wish you all the luck - I’ll be writing an intro soon

CFSUKguyhai likes this.
  3. CFSUKguyhai

CFSUKguyhai Newcomer

thanks - I've done versions of those courses too. Again some slight improvement but I felt like I was trying to force myself to be optimistic and well but covering over cracks. I think this therapy seems to consider deeper aspects so hopefully that digs in more...I will look out for your story best of luck!