1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Gastritis, TMS?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by GTfan, Jan 1, 2016.

1. GTfan

GTfan Well known member

Hello all,

I used to post here occasionally 3 years ago when I first figured out about TMS. I have a classic T personality. Ive had panic attacks, generalized anxiety, GERD symptoms, epididimydis, chest pain, high blood pressure, you name it.

Lately, I've had a bout with something I'm told is "Gastritis". Several months ago, I noticed that every now and then after a night of drinking booze, I would wake up extremely nauseous the next day and maybe even vomit. This is odd for me, because I have never had a problem with being sick from alcohol even when I drink an extremely high amount.

I usually would return to normal within a day. But it started to get worse. I went to Vegas and noticed that my stomach started to bother me, but I tried to attribute it to TMS, and continued on with my drinking and partying ways. After a night of heavy drinking, I woke up probably the sickest I've ever been in my life. Vomiting up anything I put in my stomach, and constant stomach pain. Almost a sharp, constant pain in my chest.

So after a day, I still feel stomach/chest pain and have a constant sick feeling. After another day, I go to the ER. They do blood work and say all my levels are fine and say I have "Gastritis" caused by excessive alcohol use. I'm supposed to take omeprazole and limit my drinking from here on out.

So I pull out my old TMS books and see that gastritis is indeed a TMS symptom, so I quit taking the omeprazole and continue on with my life. However, here I am several months later still dealing with the problem. Most of the time I'm fine, but every now and then (always after drinking) the symptoms come back and it takes days to return to normal.

I drank heavily the night before New Years and wake up constantly nauseous and stomach pains all day. Can't even think about trying to drink on NYE. I go to work today and drink a cup of coffee which seems to really upset it. I almost vomit and experience pretty painful stomach symptoms. So it's been almost 2 days and I still don't feel right.

I would agree that I probably drink more alcohol than I should (twice a week, binge drinking on weekend nights, maybe a few beers throughout the week), but I'm only 25 so I don't see how I've already caused damage to the point that I need to stop drinking all together.

Any thoughts or advice on this issue? I dont want to make drastic diet and lifestyle changes by cutting out alcohol, coffee, spicy foods, and what not if it's only going to make me more unhappy and feed the TMS symptom.

silentflutes likes this.
  2. silentflutes

silentflutes Peer Supporter

if you do what you have always done, you will always get what you have gotten.
    i have never got drunk in my life so i cannot tell that part. but i do have gastric repeatedly which is one way to expression tension (TMS).

my realization is that it is not changing your diet lifestlye cutting out alchohol coffee spicy food matters much here but realizing what need are you fulfilling by those habits? what are you hiding, trying not to feel, trying not to accept? those things matter, once you realize that, you wouldn't need safe space created by alcohol, coffee, spicy foods or any other. as sarno says, THINK PSYCHOLOGICAL.

3. GTfan

GTfan Well known member

Good advice. I guess what I was getting at was the fact that I don't want to change my diet and think that is going to make it all better.

I do think drinking has become too much of a priority in my life, although it does have a time and place for social interaction.

On that note, I do think I use alcohol to "help" with my social ineptitudes. My generation in general has become way too dependant on alcohol in order to have fun and interact with others in a social environment. Us young folks don't know how to socialize without drinking anymore.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

My father, stepfather, and brother all had drinking problems, so I became a very moderate drinker. Only drunk once, when my older brother took me out on my 21st birthday. I didn't like the hangover and never went that far again. One or two drinks a day is supposed to even be good for our health,
    but watch out beyond that. Drinking and smoking are just emotional crutches. It's much better to discover the emotional reasons why we drink or smoke. TMS is a fantastic journey to help us discover those reasons. There has to be a better way. I believe TMS is that way. But I'll have a glass of red wine tonight and know it won't hurt me but in fact, is okay. Binge drinking? Do yourself a favor and cut that out. If friends draw you into that, they're not friends.