1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

First post. My short story. 80% there. Need that extra push, help!

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by joey9999, Apr 3, 2015.

1. joey9999

joey9999 Newcomer

Hi, my name is Joey and I am 21. I have been dealing with TMS (low back pain) for 6 months now which I thought was an injury from lifting at work and at the gym. 2 sports doctors and a regular family doctor have done physical tests on me and said bulging disc, herniated disc or chronic mechanical low back pain. Now after discovering TMS, I realize these diagnoses are not causing me the pain as I have had a number of pain free days now AND the pain is moving around! I'm ever so grateful to have found Dr. Sarno's work about a month ago (pretty early compared to many that experience chronic pain). At first I wasn't taking the treatment seriously enough. I didn't really take in the diagnosis fully and didn't journal, didn't think psychologically enough. I kinda thought it would just go away. Lately though, I have had a major breakthrough, the pain has been anywhere from 80-100% gone, and my confidence has skyrocketed.

These breakthroughs came mainly from doing the basics, like journaling, thinking psychologically, being in control, not worrying and reading/watching success stories. I know I have TMS, but my main problem is in the mornings. I get setbacks from waking up with pain and I lose my direction. Some moments I feel on top of the world again, and some moments, mainly in the morning, I get the pain back. Must be conditioning. I feel sometimes as if TMS keeps trying to attempt to hang on even though I am ready to let it go. I feel like I just have to push it over the edge, and sometimes I get their but I just can't stay at the finish line!

I'll mention that I have not yet started physical activity, although I haven't been holding back in normal daily occurrences like bending, lifting, running for a bus, swinging a golf club in the backyard, etc. I plan to hit the gym soon, but overall, I need some advice on these mornings, to get back on the right track. I am extremely confident in the TMS diagnosis, considering that the things mentioned above have helped me so much. I am just at a point now where I feel I need help letting go and moving on.

Thanks for reading,

Joey

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Joey. Welcome to the TMSWiki and glad to have read your first post.
    You are having an amazing recovery from back pain, and will be entirely free of it
    the more you believe it is from repressed emotions and/or a perfectionist or "goodist"
    personality.

Why not ease into more exercise before you go to a gym. You're walking, bending, lifting,
    swinging a golf club. Keep that up, and all normal daily activities. I also suggest you read
    Steve Ozanich's terrific book, The Great Pain Deception. He tells how he healed from back
    and other pains by ignoring the pain while he went back to playing golf. You can find
    a copy of the book at amazon.com books. It's especially helpful for those who wonder how
    fast they can get back to exercise, the gym, and sports.

3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Joey,
    Welcome. I am happy you've made so much progress.

One suggestion is to simply observe this pattern. Take a stance toward it of observation: It doesn't have to go away. You can be curious. "Is there pain this morning? Huh, that's interesting. I wonder why?" It may be that if you "lighten up" or practice what Alan calls "outcome independence," the symptoms will subside. You know they are TMS. If you relax about trying to make them go away, this may be helpful.

Andy B.

4. joey9999

joey9999 Newcomer

@Andy B and @Walt Oleksy Thanks for the input fellas. I agree that easing into exercise is a good idea. In terms of outcome independence, I also agree. I have had some great days lately, focusing on life instead of pain and fear. No more feeding the flame.